Hard starting 1955 T-bird

Guest JohnMun

Guest JohnMun

My T-bird is hard to start in the morning. It seems to be a lack of fuel since I can shoot some starter fluid in the carb and it starts right up. I have had the carb rebuilt and put on a new fuel pump with no change. My local mechanic says it is because of the gasoline we now have evaporating out of the carb overnight. Is this true and if so how can I solve the problem without installing an electric fuel pump. Does everyone have this problem?

What your mechanic is saying is generally right, although I'm a bit dubious that this could happen in one night. I do know that a number of people with 55-56 T'Birds do put in an electic fuel pump that they turn on for a few seconds before starting the car. They don't let the pump run all of the time, just to fill the carburetor bowl. I have a '57 which has a different Holley and have not had the kind of problem that you are. Here is a link to an article about vapor lock that indicates how to install the electic pump. Good luck with getting it resolved. CTCI - Gil's Garage - Vapor Lock and Electric Fuel Pumps

Regards,

Guest billybird

The first generation birds all have a reputation for being a little hard to start. Of course this differs from car to car. I have an electric fuel pump to prime the carb, then, I cut it off and run off the stock pump. But I only drive my car about once maybe twice a week. If you drive the car every day all you should have to do is pump the accelerator pedal about half way down as you are cranking the car. Also, be sure the plugs are good, points ,too as well as plug wires. You don't say HOW hard the car is to start. If you have to crank untill the battery is almost dead, then that's too hard. Try the above method with the accelerator and no starting fluid and see if it starts without killing the battery. The only reason I have the electric fuel pump to prime with is to make it easier on the starter. Otherwise, mine will start with the above method even after sitting 3-5 days.