1950 desoto electric question

Guest soto

Hi there i got a 1950 desoto custom 2 doors that i just got

i m try to get my radio going but i got a problem i don't know where the wire with the fuce goes

i got a manual but it only shows a black wire going to it ,

when i got the car it was runing ok but i discover that the kid that had the car put the battery wrong

the manual said that the car is powergrounded , if the battery was put on wrong will it damage some of the electric components?

my volt metter only reads negative and if i turn the headlights the volt metter goes all the way down to the left.

is there sothing i can do to fix it please help.

thanks i m new to this cars i like them but im getting close to sell it jk. please help

Guest alperin1

soto,

The first thing I would do is make sure the batter is correctly connected. Make sure the positive post is connected to the engine and the negative is going to the starter/starter solenoid.

Now once this is done you want to look for the circuit breakers that are under the dash and they are on a support for the dash. Look for the speedometer cable and on my '50 Desoto this cable runs though the support. I do not know which side of the breaker to use but since you have a fuse for the radio anyway I am not sure make that big of a deal.

The volt meter on my car will stay just around zero while the car is at idle and will move to the right as I increase the RPMs on the motor. If i turn on the headlights or any other source that uses the power while at idle the needle for will go to the left, not all the way but slightly.

Lastly, I am not sure how your transmission will work with the ground cable being backwards. Your transmission and carb both have components that are used to shift the car and I would think the car would not shift properly with the tip-toe shift or down shift if you press the gas pedal to the floor.

I hope this helps. If you need i can take a photo of where the circuit breakers are.

Darin

soto,

The first thing I would do is make sure the batter is correctly connected. Make sure the positive post is connected to the engine and the negative is going to the starter/starter solenoid.

this is the fist thing i did after i got the manual.

Now once this is done you want to look for the circuit breakers that are under the dash and they are on a support for the dash. Look for the speedometer cable and on my '50 Desoto this cable runs though the support. I do not know which side of the breaker to use but since you have a fuse for the radio anyway I am not sure make that big of a deal. ?

The volt meter on my car will stay just around zero while the car is at idle and will move to the right as I increase the RPMs on the motor. If i turn on the headlights or any other source that uses the power while at idle the needle for will go to the left, not all the way but slightly.

on my car won't go over the center at all and when my lights are on it goes all the way down to the left.

Lastly, I am not sure how your transmission will work with the ground cable being backwards. Your transmission and carb both have components that are used to shift the car and I would think the car would not shift properly with the tip-toe shift or down shift if you press the gas pedal to the floor.

i have no idea the car had all the light mix with 6 and 12 v the radio dont work and my gages lights dont work ,

I hope this helps. If you need i can take a photo of where the circuit breakers are.

yes please and if u can take one of the radio conector to that will be grate thanks.

thank you

Darin

thank you