350 to a 455...

Okay, is there a book on how this is done? It's in a 1970 Buick. The donor 455 is from a 1970 Buick Electra. <P>If anybody has any information on this this would be helpful as I am beginning this project within the next couple months. I am going to most of the work myself, and will be rebuilding the 455 or reconditioning, or whatever you want to call it. Like I said, if somebody knows of a book on this, or has any info on it, please share it with me. Thanks.

It is a simple switch. Get the motor mounts for a GS from TA Performance ,and if you are using the TH350 trans,bolt it to the engine,drop it in the hole and have an exhaust system made. You will have to move the cross member,but the holes are already there ,so it is easy. All the wiring will interchange ,but you will need different radiator hoses.You should also get a bigger( 3 or 4 core) radiator and you will nee a different drive shaft<p>[ 04-18-2002: Message edited by: The Old Guy ]

Here goes,<BR>70 Electra is rear sump (only Riviera had a center sump in 70) and should be ok.<BR>Rubber mounts are Ok ,but will need the TA or Poston 68-72 frame pads. They locate higher and forward of 350 pads.<BR>TH350 does NOT need to be moved back. Only a TH400 will use the second set of holes in the frame. Electra has a LONG tail 400. It can be made to work but driveshaft needs to be shorted quite a bit and "U" joint angle will be too sharp. Short tail 400 is best and driveshaft only needs to be shortened 1 inch.<BR>A standard GS 455 exhaust will work fine. If you are using headers, you just need to cut the pipes and add collectors.<BR>The electric wiring harness should work but may be a bit short as the 455 is a little longer than the 350. Use plastic insulators on it if it runs close to the block. New harness is about $150 from Year One.<BR>You will have to rework the throttle cable a bit or find one off a 68-71 GS 400/455. Same with cable bracket. <BR>Fan shroud for a 350 will not work as the 455 has the water pump offset to the drivers side.<BR>You will need either a 455 repro shroud or one from a 71-72 Electra/Centurion or a GS 455. For good cooling it is highly recommened to run a shroud.<BR>The usual stuff like pulleys hoses belts and fuel lines will need to be 455 items.<BR>This should just about cover it. I have done this swap several times and am presently doing one on a 69 Sportwagon.<BR>Good Luck,<BR>Mark