69 Riviera instrument cluster

Guest JCHanson

Guest JCHanson

I just got my mothers 1969 Riviera. She bought it new in 69 and has had it garage kept since. I am going to clean it up and continue to care for it as she has for 40+ years. I started to fool with the speed alert and it works, however I got it stuck at 15 MPH and it is sooooo annoying. I started to pull the instrument cluster and didn't really have the time to get it completed.

Can anyone point me in the direction of removing the dash sections successfully and getting the speed alert cable lubed and opperational? What is the best direction? I can hear and feel the buzzer location up near the defroster duct on the drivers side next to the speaker.

About how much time should I allow? I've been a motor head for 35+ years and have all the skill and tools required to get it done right.

You should invest in a '69 Buick Shop Manual and a '69 Fisher Body Manual, all the info you need will be found there.

They are available in CD, or hard copy format. It's the best investment you can make, if you plan on keeping the Riviera !!

Removing the instrument cluster to gain access to the speed alert cable will be a major PITA !! The steel cable is located in the upper rear left hand corner of the instrument cluster - you might be able to use a spray silicone lube on it, if you can access the cable. You can pull the cluster, or pull the padded dash and try and get at it from the top. It is not accessible from under the dash as the Heater/AC ducts fill much of the space.

As I said, a real PITA !!