GMC Suburban Pickup Bed Color?

Guest WEAVERSD

Guest WEAVERSD

I own a 55.2 GMC Suburban pickup that's currently being professionally restored. The exterior color of the truck was originally Ebony Black with Aspen Green wheels and a Aspen/Delta Green interior. My question is in regards to the color of the steel sidewalls of the bed. Does anyone know if the bed sidewalls of Suburban pickups were painted in the secondary color? In my case, this would have been Aspen Green if in fact the steel bedsides were of a different colorthan the primary color.

I’ve seen pictures of some GMC Carriers and Chevy Cameos with the steel panels painted the secondary color, while other trucks have been painted the same color as the rest of the truck. The different color bed seems to be more prevalent with Chevy’s but I haven’t been able to find a definitive answer. Hopefully someone here can steer me in the right direction.

Steve

1955.2 GMC Suburban Pickup Restoration

Edited by WEAVERSD (see edit history)

Guest marlin65

Steve,going by memory a local bicycle shop had a GMC Carryall Surburban in Yukon Yellow many years ago and I remember it was all yellow bed walls and all.I have seen some Chevy Cameo's in white with the inside of the bed red to match interior.I presently have a Corvair Pick-Up. The bed is charcoal gray but the sides are outside body color.Hope this helps. Ed in Florida

Guest WEAVERSD

Ed,

Thanks for that bit of information. I just had the pleasure of talking with Ralph Wescott and if you know him, you'll know that he once owned quite an extensive collection of GMC Suburban pickups and seems to be the resident expert on these trucks. He told me that all of his trucks were restored to factory original and recommended that I look at pictures of his collection. I've seen several pictures of his collection and every one of his truck had the steel bedsides painted to match the color of the rest of the truck. The only truck that didn't was his blue 1959.

Unless someone can show me differently or I can find evidence of a different color paint on my truck, then I guess I'm going to go with the bed being painted black like the rest of the truck.

Thanks again,

Steve