hot rod straight 8?

Guest miked

I'm considering buying a 52 super from a friend. If I do, should I build a snotted-out Inliner or replace the entire chassis with somthing else, like a Rivi? (must stay true to the shields) Has anyone done either one? What about tranny's for the inliner?<BR>Thanks for the input!

Guest oldtimer

i have a `50 super and this is what i found out. the engine, very few 263 dual carb intakes out there ( i was thinking about casting one for myself), pistons have to be custom made for anything but stock, cams have to be welded and re-ground to your specs (most places want a core), headers need to be custom made and the crank, rods, head need to re-worked also. the trans needs to a manual (stock automatic won't handle the power) and you can swap gears with other years. basicly if it's not a 320 there's not much performance stuff made for it. by the way i'm setting up a 425 in mine. good luck

Most of the after market dual carb manifolds for the straight 8 used three bolt carbs like the Stromberg 97and they were no bigger than the carbs used on the 41 set up. I put Strombergs on a 41 manifold back in 1950 . I had a 37 with the 41 set up ,and it ran faster with the stock carbs.

I'm not sure what engine the '52 came with but it's origional to the car. This car has a dynaslow but I would want to install a 4 speed. As far as a intake manifold goes it seems like just making one from tube aluminum would be the way to go...3? 4? carbs with progressive linkage? (not as hard as making headers) Does anyone know what engine came in the '52? Thanks for all the "super" info!!!