For Sale and Comments: 1928 Buick in Hemmings

Guest BJM

All in the Pre War Forum:

I received my current HEMMINGS Motor News yesterday and as always looked to see what was available. 1st highlighted car was a 1928 Buick roadster, lots of Buick parts, car is complete I think, best offer, car is located in Mitchell SD.

So I called even though there was no price. Whenever I see things like this I think Master 6 Roadster. I had a great conversation with the seller, who is the 60 year old son who resides in Rapid City SD. Here are my handwritten notes: 6 wire Buffalo wheels, 6 cyl, paid $1200 for the engine, S/N 208 13 87 (engine) all in parts, golf club door, also a parts car with wood wheels, Randy is 60 years old (son) father has passed away and mom has sold property, needs out by Oct 4. 2 frames, several transmissions, est $5000 to $8000 but "come see it and make an offer"

So, can anyone decode the engine serial number to know if at least the engine might imply what it is?

Does anyone know about this car or the collector? Last name: Greenway

Frankly, $5K is too much for me BUt what if it's a dry 1928 Master 6 Roadster? hhhmmmm

I like Master Roadster too....

Based from what I learned from Dave Corbin (hope is now in the Buick heaven) the engine 2,081,387 is in the batch of 15000 engines from 2,078,500 to 2,093,499. From the same batch came (Master, 28-49) engine of Canadian Royal Tour car now in UK (2,080,521) and also the (Master, 28-49) engine of my car (2,091,312). So I think it is OK to assume the car you saw in ad has Master engine (assuming the engine size was kept for the complete batch).

See post #29 in this thread. http://forums.aaca.org/f165/1928-mclaughlin-prague-257454-2.html

I do not think anybody is able to asign the particular engine serial nr. to a particular car / or type but apparently we are able to say if the car has the correct engine size in it by type designator. Sport Roadster with Standard engine is 28-24 and Master is 28-54 type designation as you surely know.

Pity for me it is another side of globe. Josef

Edited by pepcak (see edit history)

Josef

Thank you for following up. Based on no one commenting, I pulled out my few Buick references. Yes, this is one reason Dave Corbin is sorely missed. I knew it would happen within one week of his passing. I took out the Gustin book and ny Buick Standard Catalog.

I was not able to determine from the number provided if the Roadster for sale was a Standard 6 or Master 6 but I was able to tell that the Standard was built on the 120" wheelbase and the Master 6 was on the 128" wheelbase.

The Standard 6 was 207 (?) cubic inches and the Master 6 was a nice 274 cubic inches @ 74 hp. Here's the kicker: BOTH cars are rare with I believe the Standard 6 at around 4300 units made and the Master 6 at 3450 or so. (I am at work without my standard catalog/Gustin references.

Folks I think this is a 1928 Buick Master 6 Roadster with golf bag door, probably, along with most Roadsters from the mid to late 20's, one of the iconic Buicks of the 20's, from a dry South Dakota location.

The son said the Roadster had a golf bag door. So, to help - does anyone know if the golf bag door was only offered on the longer wheelbase Master 6? I would think the Standard 6 would be too short (by those 8 inches) to allow room for a golf bag door and if this is correct, then we can further be sure that this project is a Master 6. Please advise if you know -

Now, in talking with the son who is responsible for the estate liquidation, he stated his dad had Knight-Stearns and other high end cars that the old car community knew about and jumped on when he passed away. This seller, Mr. Greenway (father, not son) clearly was a well educated collector of vehicles from the early CCCA period, nickel period. {Note: I am NO expert on this period so please keep that in mind in my comments}

This ad and this find requires a personal visit. I don't believe I can afford to purchase a complete basket case for $5000 or so and even though it's in nearby South Dakota - my schedule is full so I think I will trouble finding time to run up there, but will do my best. Son, 60 years old as mentioned, lives in Rapid City SD about 270 miles away and is home this weekend for Labor Day but I will be in Chicago.

I get the impression that he wants to be present if a collector wants to view and purchase, which I totally understand. His elderly mom surely does not want to deal with folks who may take a part they need (and I know this occurs). I believe that someone who knew this fellow will know what he has and jump on it BUT I sure wish I could arrange a purchase or it could go to a Buick Pre War guy.

In this day and age, few if any Master 6's or early 8 Roadsters will ever be available for purchase. Many good restored ones are on Pre War Car.com in Europe, quite frankly, and would need imported back to the USA to increase our inventory (no offense meant Josef, just an observation) IF a European collector learns of this Master 6 Roadster find, and has the wherewithal, I am quite certain it will leave the country in crates for a European destination.

If I get the opportunity to view the car and meet the son Greenway, I will take a boatload of photos. On a strange side note which may (may) give me an inside track, I am an Iowa Hawkeye college football fan and Mr. Greenway's 2nd cousin is Chad Greenway, a former star Iowa linebacker now playing for the Minnesota Vikings and I used that connection to shamelessly request an autograph and consideration for the vehicle.

We actually talked at length about Chad and I believe this endeared me to the son a little bit, that personal connection.

If anyone is interested, please advise by PM. It would be a stretch, after recently purchasing a 73 Electra and a 90 Reatta convertible - to be able to get the 28 Master 6 Roadster, so as stated, I would love to see this go to a BCA and a BCA Pre War Division home rather then quietly disappear into the collector world sub-culture maybe to never pop up again in my recent lifetime.

Edited by BJM (see edit history)

Looking into a Standard Catalogue - they say STD 28-24 has been built in 4513 and Master 28-54 in 3853 pieces. Standard engines (207 ci) were actually built into 114.5" chassis, while Master engines (274 ci) were built into 120" and 128" chassis. They also say Buffalo wheels were option on Masters only.

If the picture caption is correct, then even 28-24 had golf doors. 1928 Buick Model 24 roadster rear 3q | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Yes, you are right, there is nice example still for sale in Netherland Buick Master Six, model 54 Sports Roadster 1928 for sale - PreWarCar and another (not running older restoration) sold in France recently. And, I will add another mouthwatering period picture at http://forums.aaca.org/f170/circa-1929-car-id-tennis-anyone-262836.html

Pity my hands are full (and wallet empty) with restoration on my limo, otherwise I would seriously consider it....

Josef

Edited by pepcak (see edit history)