Converting '73 Riv Front Bumper To a "72 or '71

Guest BuickWildcat401

Guest BuickWildcat401

Guys,

I am restoring my '73 Riv. I love every inch of it except the 5 mile per hour factory bumper. The rest of the body including the rear bumper is a work of art while the front bumper looks like Pinocchio's Nose!

I gotta believe the front frame will accept the brackets and braces for a 71 or 72 Riv front bumper. Has anyone here switched out one of these? These days you gotta buy the parts before you can check 'em for measurements. These Rivs aren't found in the junkyards here in S. Fla.

Thanks,

Mike

Never owned either of these, but have wanted one of these for a while, so I have looked at a few. Ends are similar but different. post-53315-143139126766_thumb.jpg Would have to narrow it about 2" under each headlight on each side, and each end about 5" on the sides. Remove the shocks from the '73 bumper and make new mounts to bolt it back to the frame. Really a lot of work, but if I ever bought a 73, this is what I would have to do to it myself.

post-53315-143139126762_thumb.jpg

post-53315-143139126765_thumb.jpg

Guest BuickWildcat401

Thanks Steve.

I should have figured it would take more work than it looked like.

I was hoping I could remove the shocks and have almost a direct fit with the brackets and bumper from a 71 or 72.

You know, the brackets and bumper are not too expensive (used). I may just give it a shot. It would be worth it in the end as that 73 front bumper is really ugly.

Thanks Again,

Mike

Guest Kingoftheroad
Thanks Steve.

I should have figured it would take more work than it looked like.

I was hoping I could remove the shocks and have almost a direct fit with the brackets and bumper from a 71 or 72.

You know, the brackets and bumper are not too expensive (used). I may just give it a shot. It would be worth it in the end as that 73 front bumper is really ugly.

Thanks Again,

Mike

If you you decide to try it, post some pics, I'd like to see it..