425 heads

Guest oldtimer

Guest oldtimer

i can't remember if it was the 455 or the nailheads. i read or heard something about not wanting the smog heads (the ones with air injection tubes). any clues on what i'm talking about ?????? ('cause i need one).

The 71 up 455 has holes in the heads that correspond to the AIR system on the intake manifold. If you have a 430 or a 70 455 ,you will have to plug the end holes in the later heads or you will have problems. I tapped the holes with a 3/8 -16 tap and screwed in some brass screws until they bottomed. I then cut them off and filed the surfaces smooth . This seems to work just fine. smile.gif" border="0smile.gif" border="0

Guest oldtimer

i just found a 425, it has a smog pump and looks as if the injection tubes go into the head (instead of the exhaust manifold).

In '66 Buick added the AIR system to the California nailheads. For more info on the AIR system on nailheads, the '66 Chassis manual covers the CA version. I put a '66 425 block and '66 CA 401 heads into my 65 GS. I plugged the holes with set screws and painted.<P>Dave

• 2 weeks later...
grin.gif" border="0 I too run 'smog' head with the injection tubes. They're from a 73 riv GS and now power my regal race car into the 8's in a 1/4 mile with NOS. The tube have been plugged and have not been a problem ever since I drilled and tapped them 7 years ago. any questions can be sent to me at buik455@aol.com