Anyone know about Auburn Mini Spools

I'm looking at buying a 12-bolt rear with 3.23 gears and an Auburn Mini Spool. My car, a 70 GS convertible, will primarily be a street car with the occasional trip to the track once of twice a year. Is this rearend setup OK for the street or is it a track only piece? The guy selling it told me that as long as I didn't "lite 'em up around a corner" it would be fine on the street. Any opinions? Thanks

• 1 month later...

the locking of the axles together is real hard on tehh rear end. make sure you get new crush sleeve and seals. maybe even new bearings before doing this. i have a spool in my car. the tires will need to get replaced about once a year. if you can, try to find a posi.

There are a few reasons a locked differential is a no-no for the street. Turns are really hard on axles, and of course the tire problem already mentioned. Even gently sweeping curves like freeway entrance/exit ramps become a danger in wet conditions.<P>I say for your needs, a posi is definitely the way to go, just to keep you & the car safe.<p>[ 09-01-2001: Message edited by: 462 Wildcat ]