? for you motor Guru's on my 400 project

I'm rebuilding the 400 for a 69 GS, and I have a couple questions for those with the benefit of proven knowledge. 1. With stock pistons, stock 750 CFM Carb, Kenne Bell Headers, and an Edelbrock Performer Manifold...will it support a 280H Cam? 2. What about the Lifters, Rockers, springs, and Push Rods? Stick with stock, or would it need the benefits of some of the aftermarket products? 3. Pushrods....Would there be lubrication benefits going with a hollow rod instead of solid? Thanking in advance. cool.gif" border="0

The 69 rockers will not get enough oil if using through the pushrod oiling. They are designed for the "through the head" system that is stock. For this reason, you will need to use 69 or older heads which are drilled for this. Also, make sure the head gaskets you use are not blocking the block/head passages. Most composition head gaskets (FelPro) should have these holes already. The 70 Stage 1 steel head gaskets do not, so avoid them.<BR>I am currently building a 430 and can tell you that the lifters are only for 67-69. 70 on up lifters have the pushrod oiling setup and should be avoided as well. You should be able to use the 70 pushrods as long as you use 69 lifters. The 70 pushrods are tubular as the stock 69 ones are solid (excluding 69 Stage 1)and are stronger.<BR>TA has some good cams and should have lifters as well as pushrods available. <BR>Hope this helps you out,<BR>Mark

O.K. now I'm confused. I checked out a year 1 catalog, The advertised Comp Cam states that you must have Post 1969 Oil through the Push Rods set-up installed to use them. I haven't found any other Cam Manufacturers that state the same requirement. As far as $$ go, Crower offers a 280H at a very reasonable price, and makes no Push Rod recommendations...so I'm guessing stock configuration is acceptable. Any thoughts? More questions. Are pre 1969 430 Heads a straight swap with 400 Heads? And lastly, if I go with a 280H Cam, go with the Cam manufacturer recommended Springs/Lifters, and stay with stock style Push Rods. Will the stock Rockers & Rocker Arm hang with the increased load? You experts haven't let me down yet...Whats the groups recommendations? rolleyes.gif" border="0

I can't speak for the comp cam. My recommendation as well would be to contact TA performance and get a cam that is specifically for a Buick. The only other cam I have used successfully was the Schneider 290H cam which was supposed to be a Buick grind.<BR>As I see it, the key is using the lifter/pushrod combination that matches. Use 69 and earlier lifters/pushrods with 69 and earlier block/heads/gaskets and rockers.<BR>400 and 430 heads should be the same by year.<BR>All 67's the same, 68's the same and 69's the same.<BR>Don't over spring the valves. Too much seat pressure or open pressure will break rockers and bend pushrods. Up to .490 lift, stock Stage 1 springs should be fine. You also have to watch coil bind. Some late springs will not go to .490 lift at max pressure without binding.<BR>I know this can be really confusing. You may want to consider talking to someone such as TA to see what cam and springs will you need for what you intend to do.<BR>Buicks are NOT "just like a Chevy" as some engine builders will try to tell you. So what works for them will not work for a Buick.<BR>I have personally spent big $$$$ to build a Buick 455 only to have the pistons rattle and cam bearing wear out in less than 3,000 miles because it was not setup properly. <BR>Sorry for the long post. <BR>I hope this helps you out and does not confuse you even more.<BR>Good Luck,<BR>Mark

Thanks for the info. I talked with TA as you recommended. Very Helpfull. They have some great Cam packages exactly like I'm looking for, and as far as Buick and support data to back them up. The best I've come across yet. Thanks again. smile.gif" border="0