is it possible?

I was just wondering is it possible to put a '74 buick 455 engine into a '85 thru '87 buick regal??? if so are there alot of modifactions needed?? just brain stroming a little bit!! i think it would make one hell of a street rod!

I couldn't find the catalog for you but Year One or Postons or someone has all the parts needed for this swap. You'll have to hunt it down sorry.

As long as it is rear wheel drive it has been done. I personally put a 350 buick in a 85 Regal that had a V-6. The mounts bolted right up. Check out Poston or TA performance for a kit. rolleyes.gif" border="0

That's good news knowing the engine will fit but will i have to change raditors,drive shaft,linkage or anything like that! i know i must change the front springs to support the added weight! but what about the alternator brackets and the little pain in the neck stuff! also will i be able to use the 400 trannie from the '74 in the mid 80's regal! like i said before im just DREAMING for now but would like to know if it can work! i currently own a '74 electra 2dr! it's in good shape but has a little body cancer! it's not bad but a firgure in about 5 years or more who knows! getting the engine and trannie rebuilt as i type! so if the old body kicks the bucket i want to transfer my guts!!

As the old saying goes, "anything can be done to the extent of your time and money." Yes, you can fit a 455 in a 78-87 Regal body.<BR>It may be a little tight around the A/C and brake booster. The V6/V8 radiator won't handle the extra cubes, so one with a thicker core (3 or 4 row) will be needed. The A/C brackets won't work too well with the radial compressor, so you may have to somehow adapt them or switch to the old style compressor.<BR>Throttle linkage will need to be fabricated to the carb. The V6 wiring harness may fit, but likely some wires will have to be lengthened as the 455 is longer. If the car has the Olds 307, the wiring harness has the starter on the drivers side instead of the passenger side the V6 and 455 do. Again, some lengthening may be necessary. Exhaust system will need to be replaced.<BR>The TH400 you have out of the Electra has a long tailshaft and housing which will be too long for the Regal chassis. It can be converted to the short setup by a competant rebuilder when it is rebuilt. You will need to find the shift linkage from a 78-82 or 83 Regal that has a TH350 in it as the linkage from the TH200 or 200 4R is too long (they are narrower trannys than the 350/400).<BR>Driveshaft will likely need to be shortened as the TH400 is longer as well.<BR>Now the real bad news. The 7.5" rear axle in the Regal won't cut it with a 455. One good burnout and launch and you will leave pieces on the ground. That is why the GN's had 8.5" rear axles. It will last a while if you just drive it, but you will be tempted to use the 455's power and it won't hold up. GN rears are big $$$$ lately so keep that in mind too.<BR>Hope this answers some of your questions.<BR>Good Luck,<BR>Mark