401 race engine

65 riv with a 401 rebuilt engine of unknown source. the car runs like a $40 mule (thats real good for you youngsters out there). If I have the timing at 4 degrees, then it will jerk your head everytime you touch the gas. so I keep it retarded just below TDC. Idles smoothly also. gets about 10-12 mpg in town. regular gas. eldebrock carb. all stock.<P>My question is: Is the way all 401s run, or do I have a super engine? If this is the way the 401s run then this is the best engine in the world. why would you add any performance parts unless you dont want a street machine.

Justin, I lived near GALVESTON for nearly 20 years,then moved to COLORADO.Bought a 63 Wildcat last Christmas and have been wondering where all the power is. Lived and breathed,sort of,though the muscle car era and this one just isn't getting it. I beleive MARTINSR is correct"when there right they run" Haven't got into the drive train yet,fixing a lot of little things inside, thanks for your post, it gives me hope.

rtabolt, I forgot to add that I dont have the trans kickdown hooked up. I just dont need it for everyday driving. I can accerate all I want by getting into the petal and having the back 2 barrels kick in. I would think that your wildcat is lighter than my 65 riv so you should have all the power you want. when I was building it I looked at super ignition and other things to give me more power. but after getting it running , the only thing I care about now is MPG. It has so much power, I wonder if running the A/C even hurts the mpg. it doesnt seem to.<P>the problem with mine is the rear seal leaks. and I dont know what to do about it.

Guest nailswede

rtabolt have you checked the carblinkage?it could be a little hoked up so that the 2 BIG holes in carb not open!!i had to bend a bit on my electracarb to avoid that..its sopposed to stop to much revs when engine is could and choke is on..but if its stoped the linkage to gets trough al the whay when engine is hot, the car just be powerd like a chevy wink.gif" border="0 made a BIG difference on my car!<BR>(it was a carter on it)<P>Anders<p>[ 06-24-2001: Message edited by: Anders Larsson ]