Power steering

Guest Bob Hughes

Guest Bob Hughes

Looking for a power steering unit from a 1952 Buick, or a 1953 Buick Special. Have a 1950 Buick 56R that I want to put power steering on. I am told that the 1952 or the 1953 Special had PS as an option and it will work on the 1950 straight 8. Bobby Hughes bth2@att.net

Looking for a power steering unit from a 1952 Buick, or a 1953 Buick Special. Have a 1950 Buick 56R that I want to put power steering on. I am told that the 1952 or the 1953 Special had PS as an option and it will work on the 1950 straight 8. Bobby Hughes bth2@att.net

I put all the PS parts from a '53 Cadillac PS on my '49 Cad. It works great.

Then on my '51 Chrysler Imperial I tried something different. After collecting all of the PS parts from a '52 Imperial, I changed course, and put on rack-and-pinion with an electric (!!) PS pump from a late model Toyota MR2.

It works great, and I didn't have to hassle with new pulleys, brackets, etc. to run the PS pump off of the engine. Over-all it cost less than what I had first planned. Not counting what I paid for the '52 Imperial parts.

Just a thought.

Jon Yinger jyinger1@gmail.com

Guest Bob Hughes

Jon, thanks for your reply. I am not that much of a mechanic, and will have to hire the work done, if I find the parts. I am told that the PS units for the the 1952 and 53 Buicks are really hard to find. Are there any manuals or instructions available on using the rack-and-pinion and pump from the Toyota available? Thanks again for your reply. Bob Hughes

all i have ever seen is power steering on the roadmaster

if you have a super or a special you will not be able to put the attachments to the motor[

the balance is the pully for it, and will not fit from the 320 engine to the smaller

also the steering set up looked differtnt when i tried to match it up to my wifes 52 super

or she would have it

you might want to adapt a newer set up with newer steering column and so forth if your heart is set on it

good luck

Greg

UOTE=Bob Hughes;1064139]Jon, thanks for your reply. I am not that much of a mechanic, and will have to hire the work done, if I find the parts. I am told that the PS units for the the 1952 and 53 Buicks are really hard to find. Are there any manuals or instructions available on using the rack-and-pinion and pump from the Toyota available? Thanks again for your reply. Bob Hughes

Guest Bob Hughes
all i have ever seen is power steering on the roadmaster

if you have a super or a special you will not be able to put the attachments to the motor[

the balance is the pully for it, and will not fit from the 320 engine to the smaller

also the steering set up looked differtnt when i tried to match it up to my wifes 52 super

or she would have it

you might want to adapt a newer set up with newer steering column and so forth if your heart is set on it

good luck

Greg

Thanks for your reply. I am just have to forget it. I don't enjoy driving my 1950 56R as much as I would if it had the PS on it. It is hard to steer. I just finished a 53 Packard and I put a power steering unit on it, and it drives like a new car. I had talked with Pete Phillips, the editor of the Buick "Bugle" and he thought that the PS from any of the 1952's or the 1953 Special would work with my motor.

Thanks again for your reply. Bob Hughes