Wheel/Tire size question

What are the widest size tires I can fit on the rear of a stock '71 Skylark?<P>Also, while on the same general subject, how tall a wheel/tire combo could I run on a stock Skylark?<P>Thanks in advance

Guest 65sky

Aaron<BR> i'am running 275/60 15's on my 71 their about 26" high with no problems<BR> smile.gif" border="0tongue.gif" border="0<p>[ 06-02-2001: Message edited by: 65sky ]

On a set of stock 14x6 chrome road wheels I am running 225x70-14 Radial T/As, which is about the biggest tire I would put on those particular rims. They look good though, and that size matches the biggest available 14" tire size that came stock on the car in 1970 (according to my owner's manual.) I figure it must be true because my speedometer is pretty accurate. I haven't taken the time to measure the tire height.<P>Good luck!<P>Matthew

I've currently got 265/50 15 BFG T/As on the back of mine and I've had Mickey Thompson H50 14's on stock Buick ralleys without a problem.

It depends on the rims Aaron.. 14's can't go to big, largly I think due to rim specs. 15's you can play quite a bit. Search for back threads on tire sizes and such, you should find several useful threads.<P>What some people do which looks cool, but try to rotate them, is put small up front and big in back. This works with 15's. Like Phil has, the 265/50's on back are about the biggest you'll wanna go due to rubbing issues. In a past thread, I think I remember someone having 285's in back which is mind blowing but play it safe. Wider is better, but know the limits.<P>Personally, I have a '71 with stock cast 14' rims that I put 225/70/14 on. No BFG's either, Dunlop GT Qualifiers. Good rid, nice tracking. Plus, they're different. I mean, how often do you see something 'other' then BFG's on these cars? :-)<P>Cheers!<P>-Scott

Would a set of Cragar S/S 17x9 fit all the way around? I'm planning on picking up a pair of pretty cheap, used S/S 15x8's and 15x10's, so my idea was to use the smaller diameter wheels for those nights I feel cocky and head up to the drags in Kent, and the larger 17's with some good low profile skins for normal, everyday driving. Does that sound like a decent plan?<P>Also, thanks to all that answered!

I don't think 9 inch wide rims will fit in the front. After you get the 15x8's check the tire clearance to make sure they don't rub the sway bar or frame. If they rub a little its ok because you won't be going very fast when you have the wheel turned that sharp.

I agree about the 9" rims being too wide for the front. Depending on the offset they *might* fit in back. The largest stock rim available was a 15x7...<P>As far as tires are concerned: GT Qualifiers on my buddy's 1970 Plymouth Duster (about 400 pounds lighter than our Skylarks) wiped out in 10,000 miles. They looked sharp while they lasted though... He's now gone to a set of Goodyear Wingfoots on both his Duster and on his '68 AMX. They have a real nice look to them.<P>Matthew