24 Dodge Bros gas tank

Guest BillCrab

Guest BillCrab

Hello,

I'm new to the forum and to AACA. I will appreciate any input you can give me. The gas tank on my 24 Dodge Bros Coupe is at a radiator shop getting 'patched.' It has been hot-tanked and sealed. The tank has many holes (particularly on the bottom of the tank); the shop is recommending that I have them rivet a large 'sheet' brass patch over the perforated part of the tank and seal the edge with solder. I wonder about the advisability of drilling more holes in the tank, even if they are filled with rivets. Any thoughts?

Guest BillCrab
Bill, Usually, the rusted and thin metal is cut out and a new patch is welded in. But with that said I think that the patch would work, I just don't know for how long. I would start looking around for a replacement tank at some point.

Thanks for the information John. You are confirming my instinct. I am going to retrieve the tank from the radiator shop (before they begin drilling holes in it) and take it to our local welder. I've been looking for a replacement tank but no luck so far. I'll keep looking . . .

• 2 weeks later...
Guest fordy

I had a local sheet metal shop form up a new one for my Hupp using the rusted out original as a guide, the filler neck and gas gauge were removed from the old one and soft soldered back on the new. We then used a polyurethane type gast tank sealant. Never given me troubles.

Surely its the same with the Dodge unit - easier to replicate than repair?

Guest BillCrab

Thanks for the suggestion Steve. I'll probably have that done at some point in the future as the old one was repaired; It is probably what I should have done to begin with . . . I'm still learning. Have a wonderful day!

• 4 months later...