big block swap

just finishing the engine bay in prep for the<BR>430 got the poston mounts, noticed that the<BR>exaust looked wrong angle to mount up to the<BR>bb exaust manifolds. Does anyone Know if they<BR>will bolt up, every thing else looks like it should bolt up. Also part of this adventure<BR>is a new turbo 400. Does anyone have a good<BR>Idea for the Kickdown switch? I looked and<BR>the acc pedel bracket does not have the place for a switch. I am going to put a extra<BR>foot switch in for the vp converter next to the high beem switch. thanks for any ideas<BR>i've allways found "been there done that" are<BR>the best thoughts.

first of all what car is all of this work being done to? i have some suggestions, but i have done a 455 into a 1972 skylark and if you are not using a 1970-72 skylark for the base, then some of my suggestions might be wrong. so let me know and then we will go from there<P><BR>john

yes the swap is in a 71 skylark, should of<BR>made that clear. I did find a throttle kickdown and vp switch froma 67, but am still<BR>interested in ideas. the exaust still looks a little off, did your exaust bolt up after the switch?? thanks. dave hodson

there are alot of things that have to be considered when you do this swap (i assume that this was a 350 car first and not a straight six car). you are installing a larger, heavier and more powerful engine. you will need to replace the springs up front, the throttle cable needs to be replaced because it will not work properly with this new engine(it is too far back in the engine bay for the throttle to fully move the carb linkage on full acceleration), the 350 exhaust will not work-you need 455/430 exhaust, you will need to mount the kickdown switch properly. i used the 70 chevelle bracket that is used for the cowl induction hood. and then i added a section to the bracket to make it fit in skylark. the stock 70 chevelle bracket is too low, so i mounted an extension bracket on top. <P>the important thing is that you use the proper parts. you do not just slam in the engine bay and go. but when you get everything together..this combo kicks ass.<P><BR>if you have any other questions about the swap (or what not to do) then just ask.<P>john tongue.gif" border="0

smile john this is supposed to be fun remember! BB springs were installed last week along with a disk brake setup and ball joints. The throttle cable fit perfectly with the 430 stock bracket. One side of the exaust actually bolted up, but I will have to redo the drivers side. Although this is my first buick swap Ive worked on mine and everybody elses hotrods for a few years. So<BR>far this swap is going strait forward. There<BR>seems to be a great deal of info in this and<BR>other buick forems. see ya at the nats.