modern radio for 6 volt system

Guest valleyjim

Guest valleyjim

I have a 1936 Buick series 40 Business coupe with the original 6 volt system. I would like to install a modern AM/FM radio CD Player. How should I proceed? Is there a modern radio that will work with my 6 volt system or is there a reliable voltage converter or other approach? Thanks

Jim valley

Guest Grant Magrath

You need a 6 to 12v inverter like this......

post-58284-143139086501_thumb.jpg

So you can do something like this.....

post-58284-143139086507_thumb.jpg

Which is hidden when this is in place.....

post-58284-14313908651_thumb.jpg

Note that rather than a CD player, we've opted for a USB drive model so all dad's music is together, and no need to change CD's. The light colored bar under the dash in the last pic is the remote for the head unit that we used an old fridge magnet to hold in place.

Cheers

Grant

Depending on what you are looking for there is another option.

I have a '64 electra witha wonderbar am radio and I want to keep using it. The problem is that there are no AM stations where I live.

I opted fo rhttp://www.rediscoveradio.com/

This allows you to use your iPhone to play music through your existing radio. I will play music I saved on my phone or link into an online radio station to listen to local FM stations.

The only issue is that you will have to have a 12 volt supply for this device which is cleaner than replacing your radio.

HTH's

Larry

Guest Grant Magrath

There is a 6v version as well Larry. The Corvette parts vendors have them.

Cheers

Grant

Guest Jeff_Miller

I installed a 12 volt jump start battery in the trunk and use it to run a modern radio in the cab. The battery lasts quite some time, doesn't require additional energy from the rather limited charging system in my '36, and is easy to recharge when stopped since it just plugs into any convenient 120 volt outlet. The added bonus is that if necessary it can be used to jump the car by connecting it straight to the starter.

BTW: Grant, i love your hidden radio installation. I've been thinking about doing something similar but haven't found a good head that I could afford.

Jeff

Guest Grant Magrath

Thanks Jeff.

It's just a cheap one from our version of Walmart, The Warehouse. The speakers are hidden under the dash as well. All up, the system was well under NZ$200.

Cheers

Grant