Transmission issue

Guest LIT MUSE

Guest LIT MUSE

I had an event while driving the free way. The transmition shifted to first gear and stay there. Driving in town was the same. Gears are not shift

from stop and stay in first. Transmission level ok no need to add. After a while it worked normaly. This happen couple of times before.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Guest Lee_M

i have forgotten what model and trany you have. not sure of the problem source, but on one i had with the mitsu 3.0 and 4sp auto, it sometimes exhibited that phenomenon. if i shifted to neutral and then turned the engine off, and restarted, it would usually heal itself. sometimes that wouldn't work, and i needed to pull over. i would shut off the engine, then turn the key to full on (not start), then to off, and repeat for a total of 3 on-off cycles. it would start and all was well for awhile.

temperature seemed to be the cause. it only happened on really hot days, or after really long strenuous drives.

Guest LIT MUSE

There is not many hot days in Seattle :) I don't think that was the one. Nevertheless I was stacked on slow traffic. The car smoked as usual when it run on low Rpm. I never tried turning the key as you said. To be continued. Thank you! 3L automatic 1990.

Guest LIT MUSE

The smoke is the known issue of the TC. No external oil leak. I am thinking of consulting the nearest dealer about that. It may be the point of not worhing fixing it. The car has 170K and serve me well in the last 7 years.

Guest My TC Toy

Most of the 3.0L smoked a little on deceleration. The cause was normally valve guides that slipped out of place. Later Chrysler models were fixed on assembly with a retainer, but the originals, ours, were defective.

Guest LIT MUSE

A little is undetermined...The car smoke inflow rpm, stopping in a light or slow driving in traffic. It is real bother when other drivers give you a look about that. I understand that to fix it it's a big expense ? Now the the transmission issue, not sure about the future of this one.

Guest StudeDude 01

I had an identical problem with my '90 V6. It was finally diagnosed by an independent transmission shop as a speed sensor problem. Replaced the sensor (~$45 part cost) and it works as good as new---maybe better.

Guest LIT MUSE

A day after the event and the car drive fine. It may very much happen again and now I will know what to look for. Sound like an easy fix that worth the investment. Thanks for the information.

Guest LIT MUSE

The even happend again... Going to replace the trans. speed sensor. Can it be replaced easly or have to have a shop so it ? Is there only one in this car? Is aftermarket is good enough. Thank you.

Guest Lee_M

tim,

do you know if they replaced the input speed sensor or the output speed sensor? i found two listings, one for a dorman input speed sensor (917-601) and one for an output speed sensor (917-602)? both are low cost, but i would rather not replace parts that are OK. my 90 mitsu trany has this issue sometimes, and the other 91 mitsu i had, i sold to a friend, with the issue with the trany happening occasionally, but almost always after a long trip either in the heat or even if the weather were cooler, but included PA mountains. that would be hills to those of you in the rockies...

Guest Jim_McNally
PA mountains. that would be hills to those of you in the rockies...

Well, most of us have outgrown the "mine's bigger than yours" thing, even if our flat land elevation out here starts where most of the eastern mountains stop...:cool:

Jim

Guest Lee_M
...even if our flat land elevation out here starts where most of the eastern mountains stop...:cool:

Jim

LOL. really, jim? then why mention "where it starts"?

;-)

funny, i thought about you as i added that mountain statement.

i'm just envious that someday you'll likely have great beach front property.

3:47 est - california jam

alternately refer to the decemerists - calamity song

Guest LIT MUSE

The car was in a test. No codes were found. Chips were found after opening the pan, the shop say it is a matter of a year till I would need a new transmission. He was thinking that replacing oil and filter is NOT a good Idea. I was surprized by this...

The limp mode didnt accur on the test...what's next ????

Guest Lee_M

what kind of "chips"? eighth inch chunks, or small, sub-sixteenth inch granules?

when was the last time the fluid and filter were changed? if never or more than 25k, why wouldn't they do it - the hard work of removing everything to find the "chips" was done?!?!?

where did you take it?

have you had a chance to experience the problem again, and try the key off-on 3x trick?

my personal experience with local shops for rebuilding tranys is - DON'T! better to try a professionally rebuilt trany from a major re-manufacturer with a REAL warranty, and have it installed my someone you trust, or install it yourself.

Edited by Lee_M (see edit history)

Guest LIT MUSE

I went to a very reliable and with reccomendations repair and overhaul business that do trans. For the last 40 years. As said there were no code and no check engine light. They kept the car all day drove it around cold and hot and could not get the limp mode in town and in freeway. I was told the chips could have come from many places, clutch, bushings etc. also, they gave this tran. a year to live before replacement. The charge for rebuid $2300. The car has close to 180k. I really don't understand why they didn't want to change oil and filter. It's due. Some say it can only get worse after oil replacement. Is it true?

In general, I trust the manager. He brought me in the shop and gave a full explanation. There was no charge for the check and advise. The car drive fine now till the next event. Big debate what to do now...thanks for reading.

Guest My TC Toy

Personally I would have gone for the fluid and filter change. I know of no incident where a fluid change has damaged the tranny. There could be a "chunk" of something intermittantly sticking in a valve in there causing your problem. Make certain that the CORRECT fluid is used though, not a universal.

It was nice of the guy to check it out for you free though.

Guest LIT MUSE

Transmission oil was flushed and replaced with new. It was due for a while. Car started driving with limp mode...and was released after few minutes. Test the car for more than an hour drive in town and free way. The shift was ok and no repeat on the limp mode! Will drive the car daily now and see if there is improvement. Maybe it's time to make it weekend car only...