3.92 rear gears

I am trying to find a ring gear and pinion or a rear end for a 70's riviera with this ratio. Has 12 bolt cover and 12 bolt ring gear but is not a chevy. Have been told that it is a corporate rear and was used by olds and buick and can be located in some wagons with tow pkgs,would any one have a way to find an original part # for this set up or a cross reference book to tell where else to look??

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LLeaman@aol.com:<BR><B>I am trying to find a ring gear and pinion or a rear end for a 70's riviera with this ratio. Has 12 bolt cover and 12 bolt ring gear but is not a chevy. Have been told that it is a corporate rear and was used by olds and buick and can be located in some wagons with tow pkgs,would any one have a way to find an original part # for this set up or a cross reference book to tell where else to look??</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Mycar is a 73 and I have a 71 axle under it now. Didn't ralize that 70 was different<P>

A 1970 riviera is different from 71-75. I was told a 66-70 b body car or riviera will work.3.42 may be best set you'll find for your car. I've been looking for 6 years with no luck . I have found 3.42 though.<BR>The numbers I have are<BR>ring 1383525 43 teeth<BR>pinion 1366726 11 teeth<BR>These are for the 66-70.<P>------------------<BR>Wildcats.Cars of comfort and speed.<BR>Looking for 70 nos wildcat parts.<BR>Russ

• 2 weeks later...

Have been told that ratio I am looking for is actually a 3.91. I replaced the73 (3.23) with a 71 (3.42) and still would like more. Also have been told that 65 to 75 might work. Any further info is appreciated. Thanks Ed

What is the part numbers for your 71 342 gears. You got me curious now.<P>------------------<BR>Wildcats.Cars of comfort and speed.<BR>Looking for 70 nos wildcat parts.<BR>Russ<p>[This message has been edited by russ (edited 02-04-2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by russ:<BR><B>What is the part numbers for your 71 342 gears. You got me curious now.<P></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Don't know the #s because I just put the whole rear under the car. It came out ofa 71 GS Riv which is the same as a Stage one?? or so I have been told. If I get a chance I'll pull the cover and try to get a #. Wish I could find the info to know what other cars wore the same differential. I do have the # for the ring and pinion from my 73 stage one as it is apart. Lost pinion bearing but did not hurt anything else. I'm starting to think seriously about staying with the 3.42 and putting a deeper first cluster in the BB400 and finding a good deal on an overdrive. I dont think the 700 or the 200 series trans will stand the torque or the weight of this car. I'm not finished with the engine, but it should be a good bit more than the 70 stage one,s Thank,s Ed<BR>

I am doing same thing with my 1970 wildcat.<BR>I installed the 342 gearset and now am putting in a switch pitch with 3.00 gearset and looking into the gearvendors overdrive.<BR>The 455 is being built with 72 pistons to help with using lower octane gas.I'm putting on 67 430 heads made to stage 1 specs a ta intake and either a 72 qjet or 800 edelbrock.I'm planning on installing a ta 212<BR>cam<P>------------------<BR>Wildcats.Cars of comfort and speed.<BR>Looking for 70 wildcat parts.Russ

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by russ:<BR><B>I am doing same thing with my 1970 wildcat.<BR>I installed the 342 gearset and now am putting in a switch pitch with 3.00 gearset and looking into the gearvendors overdrive.<BR>The 455 is being built with 72 pistons to help with using lower octane gas.I'm putting on 67 430 heads made to stage 1 specs a ta intake and either a 72 qjet or 800 edelbrock.I'm planning on installing a ta 212<BR>cam<P></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Sounds like a good combination!What price are you hearing for the 3.00 first setup and what is the source? also when will you be up and running? I'd like to hear more. Ed<BR>