Total Timing

I checked my timing the other day and I have 20 degrees total without vacuum advance. This is just like the spec. My question is what is best for performance? I hear chevy guys saying 36 degrees total for best power. I checked the spec for the '71 stage one and it is 24. Do Buicks use less timing or are these numbers to reduce emissions? Anyone know the '70 Buick specs?<BR>Thanks in advance,<BR>Tomsriv<BR>'71 Riv

Tom,,they (the Big Boys) say 34to36 total..<BR>the magic # is 36...If you want go to <A HREF="http://www.badasscars.com" TARGET=_blank>www.badasscars.com</A> in that web is a deal on timing..you may have to look arownd for it<BR>as i don't rember just where its at..but it under free horse power and about 1/2 of the way down the page...Good reading I thought???<BR>BRAD COUCH

just wint to badasscar web and its under <BR>tech tips ..go down about 4or 5 lines and<BR>find free horse power,,then go about 1/2 way down to timing.. OH YES my book said the same as yours 21 deg total on Stage-1-455<BR>

It was at 2500RPM plus I had about 6 or 7 degrees initial at idle. My idle is set at about 1050 so if I reduced it to 600 in drive I would most likely have 4 degrees initial like the spec.<BR> I have an HEI ignition and I have tried lighter advance springs in the past, but they don't seem to have enough tension to pull the weights back in even when I have it on the bench. <BR>Any sugesstions for getting more timing? <BR>I think I will try it again with the vacuum advance hooked up. Thats what they say at "Badass". I don't see how that will help at WOT since their is little Vacuum.<BR>Tomsriv<p>[This message has been edited by Tomsriv (edited 01-02-2001).]

If you file a mark 1.78 inches from the existing mark on your harmonic balancer , you will find that when it reads zero on your timing tab it will be 30 degrees advance. The optimum timing for a 455 is 34-36 degrees at 2500 RPM. I try to set mine up with 10-12 ititial and 36 total