small engine repair

Guest 1930

Anyone here know anything about it, I mean Briggs and Stratton or Honda motors, I know virtually nothing that cant be associated with automotive engines.

I have a problem with an edger that I have had for a very long time and I want to fix it, I think it will be an easy fix, I think the problem is with the governer linkages/springs.

I think prior owner has things not hooked up right since its always run poorly.

I need someone that really knows these engines and can take a photo I send them and send it back to me with little notes on it explaining to me how things should be.

Please dont assume someone else will help and then dont bother because chances are I wont hear from anyone.

If you can help my e-mail is jhason2@yahoo.com Thanks

Have you tried getting a manual online? Google your make and model. That should give you the linkage diagrams. I had to do that with my 30 year old Deere 116. Sounds like a carb kit is in order especially if it's been sitting a while. Turns everything rubber into mush.

Keep us posted!

Guest DodgeKCL

Jason I agree with Bill that you need a carb kit. Nothing ever really goes wrong with these motors except the carbs. Especially Honda. B+S are a little more trouble prone. I just go to the dealer and buy a carb kit. My dealers will print out a portion of the manual on their computers if I ask for it. No charge. And if the linkage is screwed up they will print out a schematic of that. They have to have it for their own records. I disagree with Bill on a small point. The plastic and rubber parts in carbs now are not turing to mush. They are drying out because of the alcohol in the gas and cracking and breaking. I have a 3 year old 2 cycle grass trimmer that I've already had to replace the rubber ball primer gizmo because it turned to 'dust'. Literally.

Thanks but its not the typical carb, cant remember what its called other than a siphon feed gizmo, mounts directly on top of the tank and pulls a vacuum through a tube that runs down into the tank. '

I have had carb off and cleaned out and there just isnt anything there.

I am pretty sure that it has to do with wrong springs on governor or springs not hooked up correctly by last guy that worked on it. I have had it maybe 8 years now and have always just put up with its faults only because I did not know anything about them and didnt want to manage my time well enough to find the time to learn how to fix it.