Paint Colour

My engine is out to be overhauled. I am planning on painting it. Can anyone suggest as fact, fiction or fantasy wether the acessories (brackets, oil filler and water manifold) were/are/should be painted engine colour or black.

Any comments and or opinions will be considered and appreciated

Guest mikestaley

I am no expert.... and your car is 10 years older than mine, so I know nothing about your era car...... but I have noticed that NOS parts seem to come painted mostly black which hints that the extra parts around the engine were painted differently than the engine......... also:- since you asked for fiction, fantasy, or opinions.... my "opinion" would be everything will sure look better and more distinct if there is some contrast in colors under that hood, rather than everything being the same color....(?) BUT! it is your car and my real opinion is that my opinion doesn't count...... you have done a beautiful job on the car already and I am sure you will continue it's look by doing her up nicely!.............. good luck!

mike.

My engine is out to be overhauled. I am planning on painting it. Can anyone suggest as fact, fiction or fantasy wether the acessories (brackets, oil filler and water manifold) were/are/should be painted engine colour or black.

Any comments and or opinions will be considered and appreciated

Do you belong to AACA chapter Oakland Pontiac Worldwide or POCI early times chapter? I would think you would get the correct information there.

D.

I'm waiting for a reply from POCI. All the "barn find" photos that I have (several hundred) show the intake manifold, brackets, starter, generator, oil filler, oil filter and fan as another colour, mostly black.

However there is no indication that the block on my engine ever was painted. My grandfather never did any engine work on the car and there is no paint anywhere in cracks and crevices. All that was painted was the accesories.