Trouble disconnecting engine/tranny from driveshaft

papafarms

Hi guys

I am in the process of pulling the engine and tranny still hooked together out of my 40 special coupe to be rebuilt, problem, I cant get them to break loose from the driveshaft /spline, Yes have all bolts taken out (front and rear engine mount bolts, bolts that hold tranny to driveshaft tube, bolts that are holding the tranny to carrier, engine is loose and rocking on the cherry picker, WHAT AM I FORGETTING OR DOING WRONG , HELP HELP, would like to get this done this weekend, as always thanks for tips and advice as you all have done for me before, thanks bob in maryland

I had trouble like that with a '46 Ford years ago and my Dad had me jack up one of the rear wheels and jerk the wheel back and forth to get the spline to let go. Maybe that will loosen things up on the Buick, it won't hurt anything to try I guess... Good luck with it now. Earl.

Guest Grant Magrath

Bob, I assume you've got a jack under the torque tube? The engine should come forward in a straight line, level with the torque tube. Have someone under the car (safely!) and get them to move the jack up and down to find the right angle where there's no stress on the main shaft.

Cheers

Grant