Removing Heater Blower Motor from '65

Guest hahnster

Guest hahnster

I need to remove my heater blower motor and I am wondering if anyone has advice. There are approx. 6 very small headed bolts on the back of the motor plate and I am wondering if I take those out if I can pull the motor out. The Service Manual just talks about pulling the blower motor and inlet assembly and that requires removing the fender (OUCH). I just need to pull the blower motor. Also, does anyone know where to get a heater blower resistor? I can't fine one online for a '65 with A/C and i think I may have burned mine up.

Thanks for any help you can provide. You guys are the best.

- John

Guest hahnster

Thanks Ron. Here is the story. I just bought the car and the blower would not come on. So, I checked the fuse and the motor ground and no luck. I was cleaning the interior yesterday and accidentally pushed both the heater and a/c blower switches to "max". A few minutes later the resistor started smoking. So, I quickly disconnected the battery and unplugged the resistor. I'm thinking because there was literally smoke coming from it that I may have burned it up. I thought I would pull the motor and have an electrician test it. I was guessing that maybe the motor was frozen and that is what caused the resistor to burn. But, I am no mechanic that's for sure. Thanks again and sorry for the long e-mail.

- John

John,

On high speed I believe the resistors are actually bypassed so if it doesn't turn on it is likely a bad motor. I would go ahead and purchase a new blower motor. They are not that expensive. Old Air Products out of Texas should have them in stock. Start with that and see what happens. The resistors are pretty hearty so despite the smoke they may still be good.

Ron