Speedo cable question

Guest 62buick

Guest 62buick

Hello all,

So I assumed I could fix the speedo cable on my 62 skylark since it looked like the cables were just not connected. After removing everything and going under the panel to connect the two ends, I noticed the the speedo gauge hole on the dashboard was not only too shallow, but also didn't like would fit the square ending coming out of the cable. :confused:

Any help or advice is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Guest Commodore

It looks like somebody tried to replace the speedometer cable with the wrong one. They put it on the car without checking whether it would fit and when would not fit they just left in place. It looks like the correct cable is a ATP Y803.

Guest 62buick

Thank you Commodore, however I've found out what's going on.

The end of the old speedometer is broken off in the hole, that's why it won't go in. I can actually see the end, its probably about half an inch into the gauge hole. I think I will try to use some needle nose pliers.

Is it necessary to lubricate the ends of the new cable once I reconnect it?

Thanks!

Guest Commodore

I thought of that after I wrote my post and was going add another post on it but I forget to do it. Glad you found it. You should check to make sure that the speedometer head is not frozen. That is probably why the cable broke.