Groaning sound when turning the steering wheel

Trey

I am getting a groaning sound when I turn the steering wheel left or right. Is this normal? Note that I have changed the power steering pump which helped, but the groaning issue remains. Could there be issues with the rack and pinion?

Guest Mc_Reatta

Probably have air still trapped in the system.

Did you fill and bleed per the instructions in section 3B3-1 of 89 FSM, or 3B-2 of the 90 FSM?

Edited by Mc_Reatta (see edit history)

Update - the issue seems to be resolved now. The problem was that after I changed my power steering pump the process of adding the new power steering fluid is kind of complicated. What I did was I added fluid, turned on the engine turned the steering wheel left and right with the cap off the reserviour and ran it for 15 seconds then turned off the engine and then checked the level and then added some more fluid. Once I did this for the fifth time, the groaning noise went away.

Thanks MC_Reatta, I should have read my manual - I did what I did by watching videos on the internet. I did not get your reply until after I was done. Luckily, what I did was pretty close to what the manual said to do.