New Chrome Bumpers

airbrushguy

When I took the bumpers off the '39 I removed them with the brackets attached. Brackets cleaned/painted and attached now and I then go to bolt the new rechromed bumpers on and I have a problem.

The ends of the bumpers are about three inches from the brackets at rest. If I supply a little pressure I can make up an inch or so but I feel that the bolt is going to be pulling hard to get the bumper/bracket seated tight.

I had another car where I apparently had tightened the bolts too tight and after time I saw cracks all around the bolt heads.

I'm afraid to stress the new chrome by pulling the bumpers in with the bolts...am I crazy or is this normal for the bolts to be that far off?

Thanks

Try putting it together in the exact reverse order that you took it apart. A small change in the brackets mounted to the frame is magnified out to the bumper ends. Also, the grinding, polishing and plating applies heat to the bumper and can change its shape by relieveing stresses in the metal.

Bob

Guest Grant Magrath

Bob's idea is good. I've found that loosely bolting the brackets to the frame, then attaching the bumper to the brackets, and tightening everything up is the way to go. Some pressure is usually involved to get at least one hole lined up!

Cheers

Grant