89 Reatta Stalls

Guest Soupy074

Guest Soupy074

My 89 Reatta starts up great. After a couple minutes, it will start sputtering and trying to shut down. Pushing on the gas pedal and the engine revs up fine. I can drive the car after that and it works fine most of the time. Sometimes, randomly, when I stop at a light for instance, it will start sputtering again. I put it in neutral and rev the engine and all is o.k. If I look at the codes, the IAC goes wild when the enginge is sputtering, but goes back to normal when the engine settles down. I've changed out the Idle Air Control Valve. Any help out there?

Guest Commodore

OK you replaced the Idle Air Control Valve (IAC), but did you clean the IAC port? There could be something in the port that is interfering with the operation of the IAC.

Guest Soupy074

Thanks Commodor, I hadn't done that yet, but will this coming weekend. Is carb cleaner o.k? Yesterday, I did find a very soft, collapsed vacuum hose that runs from the vacuum tank to the MAF sensor. Replaced this and will wait to see if it helped. I'll report back.

Guest Commodore

Carb cleaner would be a good start. You want to make sure that the IAC port is clean and open all the way through and there is nothing like dirt or gum to interfere with the operation of the IAC.