what tranny to use

is it better to use a th-400 with my 455 and say a 3:56 rear.<BR>or a 700-r4 with say a 3:73 rear and get a little more pickup then have the 4th gear for<BR>the highway. And can anyone tell me about the th-200r4 i dont know this trany how does it messure up to the 700 and what cars did they come in.<BR>PS: also should I use a lock up converter or a switch pitch. I had 700 with the lockup and had it removed in my suburban 6.2 diesel<BR>kept breaking things and i dont know anything about the switch pitch.

Guest Scott Marencic

I would definitely go with one of the OD units, but make sure whatever you use, it is in good shape before you put it in.<P>The 200-4R is a bolt-in affair for a car originally equipped with a TH350, you just need to put the crossmember in the TH400 position. You can use the same driveshaft, shifter linkage, etc.<P>The 700-R4 is a little more work. It is longer than both the TH350 and the TH400, and it was only offered in a Chevy bolt pattern, so you will need an adapter plate, get the driveshaft shortened, and drill new mounting holes for the crossmember. The shifter linkage bolts up OK, as do the trans cooler lines. <P>I put in a 200-4R first, which I got from a salvage yard (NOT the you-pull-it variety). Unfortunately, it was not in good condition and failed soon after putting it in the car (2nd gear was gone), and it made alot of noise from the front pump.<P>Soon thereafter, I got a 700-R4 from a wrecked '84 Caprice Wagon w/ towing package, and I also got the factory auxilliary trans fluid cooler to boot. This was the 84 1/2 and up model, which has the larger TH350 sized input shaft. I put a shift kit in it, and it has performed very well for me, and I don't baby the car...<P>If you would decide to put one of these in, I would hook up the lockup converter. I just put in a toggle switch under the dash to turn it off for when I want to do some "hard driving"<P>I hope this help you out with your decision.<BR>Good Luck!<P>-Scott Marencic<BR> LDPosse@juno.com<P><p>[This message has been edited by Scott Marencic (edited 09-15-2000).]

I have a 200-4R in my GS and I love it! It is a bolt in and it has a 2.76 first gear . The 700-R4 has a 3.05 first ,and the TH-400 has a 2.47 I used a TCI lock up and a corvette convertor and when I learn to launch it , I think it will be quicker than it was with the switch pitch ( it ran 13.05 ) The mileage went up 4 MPG<P><BR>Joe Taubitz