2.73 verses 3.42 gears

I've put a nice 455 in a skylark which had 2.73 gears. My other buicks had the 3.42. This is a daily driver which gets as high as 16 to 1 with a holly 850. This car is very quick already but I can't help wunder how much performance I'm giving up.

I don't know what that will do to your ET, but I can tell you that with a 28 in. tire and at 5000 rpm, your theoretical top speed will go from 153 mph with the 2.73 to "only" 122 with the 3.42. Hope this helps a little.

Only posting thoughts from what I've seen people seem to all agree on here..<P>Buick 455, 4bbl.. For fast starts and such, get a high stall converter and the higher gears. Lower gears give higher max speed, but for take off, and leave the others eatin it, take the mods. :P<P>My 2cents.<BR>

Consider how you will be driving your car in determining the gear ratio. If you will drive it regularly and performance driving rarely, 3.42 may not be the gear for you.<BR>The Buick has a strong low end torque curve which helps you with lower, numerically speaking, gears. Also, consider your competition as well. Are you racing against the clock and looking for better times? Or are your primary competition, 5.0 Mustangs, 454 Vettes, or 500+ cid SS Chevelles? With proper attentian to detail, a stock bodied Buick can beat them (into the 9 second range) if you establish a "combo" or compilation of features in order to beat them.