2010 Flathead Reunion

Guest mrshoestock@yahoo.com

In September 6-8, I will be hosting the POCI/ETC Flathead Reunion here in WNC. All Flathead Pontiac owners are invited to join us for seminars, antique shopping, vintage attire, touring the Blue Ridge Parkway, casual dining and showing pre55' Pontiacs, fun and fellowship. see the www.earltimeschapter.org for more info or call me Rick shoestock at 828-586-1467 for more info. Keep on Pon-yakin'!

Thanks for posting the pictures! Just wondering if it is possible to join early times club only? I think your club and people are great!

Don

Helfen, Please register, come and enjoy the event as a guest and if you have fun then please consider joining. POCI membership is required for Early Times Membership. I for one have my doubts if POCI is the best choice for us as a parent organization and yes, I would prefer we become an AACA Chapter. POCI seems to be more into customization and speed for my taste so I belong to both ETC/POCI and OPW/AACA. I guess we'll see where the future takes us. Thanks. -Rick

Helfen, Please register, come and enjoy the event as a guest and if you have fun then please consider joining. POCI membership is required for Early Times Membership. I for one have my doubts if POCI is the best choice for us as a parent organization and yes, I would prefer we become an AACA Chapter. POCI seems to be more into customization and speed for my taste so I belong to both ETC/POCI and OPW/AACA. I guess we'll see where the future takes us. Thanks. -Rick

Rick, I would love to go to the east coast event, however that would be a bit expensive and far to go. I'm just glad I was able to go to the west coast event and be accepted even as a non member. I'm a former member of POCI (20+ years) and I have no beef with the speed portion of the club because Pontiac division was in the middle of that themselves. The speed or performance part of the division by changing Pontiac's image allowed Pontiac to survive in the late fifties to the end. A perfect example of that was my dads special ordered 59 Catalina which he raced in A stock automatic, that car came stock with a Isky E-2 cam with Pontiac part numbers stamped on the cam. So the racing part is part of Pontiac's heritage.

The custom cars, however do NOT reflect the POCI's mission statement. The only custom cars that do reflect the mission statement are the ones Pontiac styling or GM art and color produced. When I pointed this out to the current VP he basically told me that the club and it's direction are NOT going to change, or nor was it going to change the mission statement to actually reflect what cars are accepted into the club. The other major issue I had with him and the club was the advertising of the club to the custom car magazines (which he is a part of) and vice versa. That is all we need for the pre 1955 Pontiac's to be turned into low rider, tail dragging flame throwing cars. I didn't like being with that type of crowd when I was a kid and I don't want to be with that type of crowd today. I'm too old to fight like we did with those guys in the 60's. The VP seemed to think everything was rosy between the racers and the greasers back in the 50's 60's 70's....I can tell you it wasn't.

Les Iden and I go way back to GTOAA and he and I also belonged to the same POCI chapter. Anyroad Les was saying that there is some talk about being able to join a chapter and not the national club so if I am able to make some room, and fortunate enough to find a good example of a 1932-1952 Pontiac I will join. I am a member of AACA but I will also join OPW. I would join them today but my Pontiac's are too new for the club. I have a 62 Catalina and a 69 LeMans that I bought new.

Thanks for letting me bend your ear.

Don

Don, Thanks for your message. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the western event. Thats what ETC is all about, meeting friendly Pontiac owners and having fun with the cars. I appreciate Pontiac's history of performance and wish GM would revive production. I hear next year's Western event might be in Las Vegas. Hopefully we'll see you there. Thanks. -Rick