What should my oil pressure be?

The idiot light in the dash of my GS was just not enough, so I put in an Auto Gauge mechanical oil pressure gauge. Now I know what the pressure is, but I don't know if it is right. Here's the deal: 69 GS 400 convertible with a not original but correct RR code 400 engine. Gauge shows around 60 pounds at idle cold, and 18 pounds at idle hot. The pressure goes up from 18 at idle to over 40 with very slight increase in RPM. It runs around 50-55 pounds on the highway hot. I have a 1969 Motor manual that says normal oil pressure is 40 pounds, but it does not say at what RPM. If they mean at idle, I am at less than half!!! I have always heard that the rule of thumb is 10 pounds of pressure for every 1000 RPM is acceptable, which would make 18 pounds at idle plenty. Soooo, am I in the safe zone pressure wise or am I looking at a rebuild more sooner than later???

It sounds like you have very good oil pressure. From what I have heard, Buick motors are notorious for low oil pressure. My 1969 350-4 has around 5-10 psi at idle and 35-40 while driving. If you want increased pressure you could get the booster plate and/or adjustable relief valve from TA. (http://www.taperformance.com)<P>BTW - I am using the adjustable relief.<P>Ron*

According to my bible it is 40psi@2400 rpm. According to this bible "Guide to Buick Performance Engines 1964-1987" they do a build up of a 71-455 they like to shoot for around 60psi, this will be pressure at the front of the motor by the time it reaches the back you usually lose 4-5 psi. So what you got for pressure should be pretty good. The book even describes how you can have both a front and rear oil pressure guage if you really want to.

Your Pressure sounds Purrrrrfect !! I wouldn't touch a thing.<P>I would however let the car warm up before you drive it, letting the idle pressure drop some as the oil thins a bit from absorbing heat.<P>18 @ idle with a jump just off idle is exactly what you want. Low pressure at idle (Below 10) is not a good thing<P>BTW, the "Auto Gage" brand of Auto Meter guages are known to be....Um....Not an exact instument. the Auto Meter guages are alot better, but anything is better than the pressure sensor, which if performing correctly goes off @ 5psi....kinda like a signal that the game is over...not about to end

Thanks to all for letting me breath a sigh of relief!!! I will just leave it be and enjoy my car!!! I know the Auto Gauge gauges are not the best, as evidensed by the "Made in Taiwan" sticker, but it is better than nothing. By nothing I mean the stock idiot light...which I still have functioning by way of a "T" fitting in the block. At least the copper tube plumbing is now in ( and hidden under some wiring rather nicely ) and I can change out the gauge for a better one anytime. There was even two holes already under the dash for the gauge panel. Now if the darn smoke would just clear out of the Bitterroot Valley, I could enjoy my ragtop GS without coughing up a lung!!!

• 21 years later...