Something had to be a problem with this 700 swap!!

Guest Scott Marencic

Guest Scott Marencic

It turns out the driveshaft from the donor car (84 caprice wagon) is EXACTLY the same size as the one that is in my '71 skylark. ( I originally compared it to a driveshaft from a '72 Skylark 4 door, I didn't know they had a longer driveshaft)<P>So, I am assuming that I will have to get one from a 2 door G-body that was equipped with a 700-R4. Is this correct? Thanks!!<P>-Scott Marencic<BR> LDPosse@juno.com

I don't know of any drivelines that will swap into the combination that you have. Perhaps the easiest, though not cheapest, thing to do would be to find any driveline out of a 700R-4 car and take it to a driveline shop. Take your original driveline (out of the car that you are building) along with you as well. They can cut them both and make a driveline that fits your application perfectly.<P>You'll have to mount the transmission into the car where you want it to stay, then measure from the tip of the output yoke to the tip of the rear end's input yoke. The driveline will need that measurement when they build your driveline. Most shops will charge you about $60-80 for a balanced piece.

Guest Scott Marencic

I thought that this was answered before, and I was right! I just didn't notice that it fell off the bottom of the 20 days list... I moved it to 45 days and there it was! (giving up on 200, going for 700)<BR><BR>Sorry about the excess, unnecessary posts.<BR>Thanks everyone for your input!<BR><BR>Scott Marencic<BR>LDPosse@juno.com

Guest Scott Marencic

Well, so much for that, I got a driveshaft from an '84 bonneville. which looked VERY close (by using a tape measure).. and it's about 1/3" too long :-(<P>So.... There is a local place that shortens driveshafts, I am just going to have them shorten it by 3 1/16", which is the difference in length from bellhousing to the end of the tail (courtsy of TCI's website!!) between a TH350 and 700-R4.<P>Other than this, this project is ready to go, just put in the driveshaft, fill with ATF and go!<P>