1926 chevrolet timing

Guest leroy newell

Guest leroy newell

Does anyone have any info on the timing on a 1926 chevy. I got an owners manual and a shop manual for it but neither one has anything in it as far as timing. I put a washer in the top radiator hose to slow the flow down, but it is still overheating, so I need to figure out the timing. We put a test light on it the other day, but we couldn't find a mark or anything so I am a little frustrated. I am sure it is something with the way I am running the timing. Sometimes it overheats and sometimes it works great. If it sits and idles more then 20 seconds it will over heat every time. Help please!!! THANKS!!

Guest Mighty Mouse

The timming marks on the chev 4 are on the flywheel. you view the marks through a window in the bellhousing on the right hand side of the engine just under the exhaust manifold.

Is the car overheating or is it just letting out a burst of steam when it stops? If its the latter then air is leaking into the water pump by the packing gland on the water pump shaft.

There is a forum dedicated to chev 4

1912-1928 - VCCA Chat

hope this helps and good luck with your car.

Guest leroy newell

Thanks for the response Mighty Mouse. It actually boils when it overheats. Can you explain more about air leaking? What is the latter? Thanks alot for your input.

I am going to get set up on the vcca chat also as soon as I get a little time. Since you said to try there I have checked the site out and I may like it.