"A" battery

Guest HeyPop

Guest HeyPop

Can anyone give me a style, size, model .. of a good dependable 6 V battery for a model A? I had bought a cheapy from Auto Zone while I was working on the beast but want a good dependable one for when I hit the road and start taking drives.

Guest BruceW

A battery for a Model A Ford measures 9 1/4 long x 7 1/4 wide x 9 inches tall (top of the posts). A battery with around 600 to 660 cold cranking amps is more than enough to turn a Model A engine over.<P>A person can pay over $100.00 for a "script" batery with the Ford script embossed in the aide of the battery.. but I don't recommend it. The battery of a Model A Ford, like most early cars, is under the floorboard and you don't see it anyway.<P>hvs is correct in that a Model A doesn't tax a battery much.<P>I've had the same "KMart special" battery in our 1931 Deluxe Tudor for about 7 years. The car sits in an unheated garage during the winter with little or no use between December and March. I have never removed the battery from the car nor put a battery tender on it. It still cranks and starts the battery every time when the car needs to be started. We do a lot of long distance touring with the Deluxe Tudor and have never had a battery problem.<p>[ 04-02-2002: Message edited by: BruceW ]

Sears Diehard 6v Group 1. Stock # 228-31001.<BR>This is a great battery with a good guarantee, available at any Sears store in the country.

Guest De Soto Frank

Mike,<P>I've had a group 1 "sam's club" battery in my '41 De Soto for 5 years now, with no special care or "battery tender", and it starts the cars just fine, summer, winter, after sitting for 2 months at a stretch untouched, etc.<P>If you're not bucking for a "Senior Trophy", save the money you'd spend on a "correct script battery", and buy a regular group one.<BR>Just make sure the connections are clean & tight and that your charging system is functioning properly, and that the battery is firmly secured in its box- vibration & jostling around loose will shorten the life of any car battery.<P>Happy motoring!

Guest HeyPop

Bruce - Frank<BR> Thanks again. I was just curious because the cheapy I bought at Parts America only lasted a year and this cheapy from AutoZone will probablyy do the same. As far as a Senior Trophy goes ... I'm not in the trophy class yet. This first 'project' is a fun drive. All I had to start was a title (A plus right off the bat) and a rolling chassis (actually two) that was abandoned after someone had put a good bit of work in it. Being a carpenter at heart, I decided to complete it as a huckster (sort of). I understand (or so I was told) AACA doesn't accept remanufactured wooden bodies for shows. I plan to just pleasure drive it and maybe a parade or two.<P>Thanks again for the info... you've come through twice now for me.