Pontiac tailight

Guest rmccoy

According to the parts book series 6-28, 6-29, 6-29A, 6-30B and 401 all take the same tail lamp, bezel and lens. However I have several of these lamps, lenses and bezels and there are three slight different sizes. If you were to post the inside diameter of the bezel, the outside diameter of the lens or the outside diameter of the lamp body I could probably help you.

Someone must have changed your tail lamp. The ones that I have (and these were all taken from wrecked Pontiacs by myself are 4 1/8, 4 1/4 and 4 3/8.

The most common one is 4 3/8. In this size I have an excellent used one (still rivited to the bezel, a brand new one with a slight chip (would be hidden behind the bezel and a brand new one in a guide box.

The lenses that I have are for the attached taillight wether or not it has the crossbar in the center.

I also have a lens (same size) but the STOP is more than half of the size of the lens and one that has the crossbar that is flat on the top and arched on the bottom so tha tthe tail light part is almost oval.

I also have several very similar taillights that are the size you mentioned but no lenses for them.

Guest rmccoy

Thanks Mr Tinindian: Last eavening i measured the broken lens. It is 4 3/8 not 5 3/8 as i first

stated,also the top half has STOP in it. There is not a crossbar as your attachment showes. Any of the 4 3/8 lens you discribed would be fine, because mine is broken and is missing a slice out of it. Again thank you. rmccoy

Guest rmccoy

Mr. Tinindian: Thanks for your reply I was unable to get your email,PMs,

My email addres is rmccoy@windbercare.org , On Thursday of last week i was driving the Pontiac ,working good ,all at cnce it started missing ,so I took a compression test and found a valve spring broken. Do you where I can locate one and a head gasket for the back head ? Please let me know what you have and how I can pay . Thank you very much R Mccoy

On the top right of this page under your name it says Private Messages in blue. Clicking there shoul give you my message.

Valve springs are fairly easy to come by. I could certainly send you a used one.

I have been able to reuse head gaskets several times, perhaps you could as well. However I don't know why you would need to remove the head in orde to change a valve spring. You only need to take the side cover off.

Guest rmccoy

Thanks again: I did find your message,thanks for your reply, I have alot to learn about computers. I did buy a repair manual and it said to remove the head to install the spring and also said the spring for 6 cyl. is 2 1/4 in length. The spring was in 4 peices. The head gasket does look good. I appricate very much your concern and help, because I am new to this antique car hobby. My hobby has been antique 1 cyl. engines for many years.

Thankyou,

Richard McCoy

Box 19,Oldtown Rd

Fishertown Pa 15539

Guest rmccoy

Hello Reid: Thanks for your reply,the valve dimensions sound correct. I would like to buy 1 or 2 if you would part with them . I have people looking but have not yet found any .

Thanks rmccoy.

Guest rmccoy

Mr. Tinindian: Another question,before the valve broke I had oil coming out 2 small holes approx. 1" apart , right below the center of the valve side covers. I took one of the covers off and the recess in the block along the bottom where the cover goes seems to go nowhere except to these holes. Oil just seeps out. Did you ever have this problem or is it supose to be this way? Thank you , R McCoy

I think those holes are 3/8" they are plugged with a welch core plug. Simlpest thing in the world to replace. If you have a leak at a core plug like this one I would knock out all the core plugs and replace them. Good insurance agains one of them failling and leaving you stranded on the side of the road. Second best would be to carry at least one of each size in your took kit.

Reid

Guest rmccoy

Mr. Tinindian: Would you sell me one of the tailight lens for the 1931 Pontiac ? Just let me know how I can pay. Thank you R McCoy.

• 11 months later...
Guest garykluthe

Greetings,

I saw your need for a Pontiac tail light. Sorry to say I have none but I need one for a 28 Pontiac.

I, too, really just need the lens. Did you have any luck?

Thanks,

28pontman

• 1 month later...
Guest Humboldt750
Greetings,

I saw your need for a Pontiac tail light. Sorry to say I have none but I need one for a 28 Pontiac.

I, too, really just need the lens. Did you have any luck?

Thanks,

28pontman

I'm looking for the bezel shown in the picture of the 31 light at the start of the feed to replace the cracked bezel on my tail light. I am also looking for the small clear lens on the bottom of the housing if someone has that part.

post-93573-143141911001_thumb.jpg