1919 Dodge brothers Convertible Coupe wire wheel color?

Guest brian j

Guest brian j

Hi. I know i've asked quite a few questions in my posts, and received answers on the paint questions, but please humor this Greenhorn. After stubbornly insisting my olive green paint was original to the car......and subsequently finding out it was....as you ALL told me the Blue/Black combo. (Which i took literally to mean one color, blue-black, as it is such a dark blue color...., DUH?!?!) After seeing a DB car with wire wheels painted yellow, and seeing that MY wheels had been once painted yellow. I was questioning what color they SHOULD be. I observed MY wheels to have either Black or Blue paint on the wheel hub bolts. Now i know the wood spoke wheels get painted Blue or Black, i can't remember which.... and i observed On the John Dodge car at the Museum in Detroit has a silver painted, (or Galvanized?) locking ring and wheel felloe clamps on the wood spoke wheels. My question now is......what color is the WIRE SPOKE wheel SUPPOSED to be with some certainty. Would it have been the same whether spoked, disc, or wood spoke? Is the lock ring silver, or Galvanized. Back in the day i heard many spokes were cadmium plated, a process that i'm not sure they still do. Would my spokes have originally been bare steel, and then painted? Or plated first? Regards.

I know this may not answer your entire wheel question Brian because quite frankly I am a little confused on what you are stating but if the car had wood wheels than the wheels would have been finished most often in Paris Blue medium no 18, wires were finished in Ditzler cream enamel ( the yellow looking paint that is on your wheels now )

I believe the lock rings, rim clamps and rim clamp bolts would all have been zinc plated but maybe someone will correct me if I am wrong.

Guest brian j

I'm gettin' your drift, Jason. I know my questions & answers can sometimes be hard to decipher. But i'm in full understanding of the color schemes now. Thanks much. I'll keep everyone posted on my progress in the future. You'll especially like the pics i'll post of the electrolysis de-rusting process. Sometime soon i'll be doing the "spare rim". You'll be surprised at the results.