1970 Riviera Roof Rail Weatherstrip

Guest fenwick

Guest fenwick

I bought some replacement roof rail weatherstrip for my 70 Riviera from 1AAuto and I can't get it to seal when i go thru a high pressure car wash. The old weatherstrip didn't leak, but it was very hard and cracked. When the car wash is rinsing the car windows with high pressure water from the lower nozzles,the window leaks a lot. I only replaced the drivers side, and the passenger side doesn't leak at all. The new weatherstrip is softer, and the high pressure is forcing the water between the window and the weatherstrip. Has any one had this problem, and is any firmer weatherstrip available? Any suggestions to solve the problem would be appreciated. Thanks, Fenwick

The replacement seal may not have the same 'profile' as the original, or the material may be a different composition as you stated. You might be able to adjust the side glass slightly, to eliminate/reduce the leaking problem, but its 'project' that you may or may not want to perform, as it involves a fair amount of worked to access all the side glass adjustment points. The widow adjustments are covered in the '70 Body Service Manual.

The alternative is to stay away from high pressure car washes !!

Edited by 68RIVGS (see edit history)