Diagram for levers on steering wheel 1929 Desoto 6

Guest Californiagates

Guest Californiagates

Hi does anyone have a diagram or pictures for the linkage to the levers on the steering wheel of a 1929 Desoto 6 not sure how it works or if I'm missing parts

Guest martylum

Hi-I've had a 30 Desoto 6 for a good many years and both have the same setup with the levers-the upper lever should be for the hand throttle with the linkage from the bottom of the steering box leading by bell cranks and rods to the carburetor. The lower lever controls the Clum lighting switch in the same place below the steering box.

In a worst case your tubes below the steering box are broken off then you'll have neither light switch or throttle rod linkage. Take some pics of the tubes protruding just below the steering box and post them so we can see what you have.

Martin Lum

1930 Desoto Model CK-6

Guest Californiagates

Thank's That helps, some one said it controlled the timing advance i just couldn't see where it hooked up,is the distributor adjusted with a pull cable,also what is the temperature of your radiator when the car idles for a long time and also when your driving,just bought car someone started to restore it but didn't finished it Car was in pieces very rough thank's for all your help Mitch.

Guest martylum

These cars do not have a temp. gage but have plenty of cooling capacity if the radiator core is in good shape, the water working properly, and the fan belt drawn up properly.

Best to invest in an infared temp tool for $30-45 so you can check the actual operating temps. at the rad and the engine. Mine has always run reasonably cool even on hot days. In the Summer on hot days a great deal of heat will come back through the firewall-wish I had doubled the insulation when I replaced the firewall pad years ago.

Martin Lum

1930 Desoto

Guest martylum

Dave-It's been more than 20 years ago but I think the firewall pad was a reproduction with some fiberglass insulation. I'd use the best hi-tech foil lined stuff today to deter the heat radiation. I've driven my roadster on the road at 45 + on a really hot day with the doors partly open. Your Chrysler might have cowl top or side vents which would be a big help. On a 30 degree day the heat keeps your feet warm so I might want the seasonal insulater option..

Yes the 29 K model DeSoto had pull knobs for both distributor advance and manifold heat valve. Both of these are not included on a next year 30 CK Model.

Marty Lum