Correct whitewall width - '64 Corvair

Fred Zwicker

Guest marlin65

Fred,the 165/80R13 is to small for the Corvair.You need 185/80/13.They are very hard to find.Try Jeff at corvair ranch in PA (has website).I got a set there for my 64 conv last Jan.I believe the whitewall width is 7/8". Ed Dade City,Fl

Thank you Ed,

I called Coker Tire this AM and talked to one of their technicians, who advised that the original tires were bias ply tubless 6:50 x 13 and whitewall width was 1". They make such a tire in the exact size. I ordered a set of four of these tires at $160 each. Hopefully they are correct for this car.

Fred

Guest marlin65

Fred,I don't think you will like bias ply tires on your Corvair,unless it's used just for show.The 1" WW width is for 60-61,the width decreased to 7/8 by 1964. Ed in Fla

Fred,I don't think you will like bias ply tires on your Corvair,unless it's used just for show.The 1" WW width is for 60-61,the width decreased to 7/8 by 1964. Ed in Fla

Thanks Ed - current tires have 1/2" whitewalls and dry-rotted sidewalls and the 1/2" whitewall looks skimpy. This car will be driven on rare occasions, but primarily will be on display in our car museum at www.tpcarcollection.com I am in hopes that the 6.50 x 13 bias tubeless tires with 1" whitewalls will look as original as possible, as was unable to find out much info on these tires. The rep from Coker said that this was what they showed for the car as original equipment, so I guess the 1/8" difference in whitewalls will not be a distraction. I ordered the tires from Coker prior to reading your post regarding Jeff at Corvair Ranch in PA. Car will not be judged, but we like to keep most of our cars original as much as possible.

Here are some pictures of the car, showing the 1/2" wide whitewall and engine.

Fred

post-48037-143138675241_thumb.jpg

post-48037-143138675493_thumb.jpg

post-48037-143138675496_thumb.jpg

post-48037-143138675499_thumb.jpg

Guest marlin65

Fred,I guess the slight difference in WW width won't make a big difference. What will make a difference is when you drive it. Radials made the Corvair a whole different car. Mine is a driver. It's Goldwood yellow with a black interior. Nice ride you have. Ed in Fla.

When my Wife and I had our '64 Corvair Monza coupe we put raidals on it and I agree that it was a fantastic driving car with the radials versus the bias ply. Truly night and day difference. Unless you are looking for a technical correct car for point judging, I would put the radials on it.

• 2 months later...

original tires were bias ply tubless 6:50 x 13

My 57 Olds that I bought last year had the Coker Classic bias ply tires on it and they flat spotted from sitting and did not drive or ride well. I put a new set of radials on it and now it rides and drives like a new car.. NOT fond of bias plys at all...

Everyone is correct with their observations and experiences with bias ply vs. radials. I put the bias ply tires with 1" whitewalls on my wife's Corvair convertible and they look really great, but the handling is not near as good as the older radial ply tires, even though they were rotted and worn. The difference is very noticeable.

Unfortunately, if a car is entered in some serious judging, if bias ply tires were original equipment, installing radial ply tires will result in a penalty. I for one feel that in the interest of safety, as well as practiality, judges should "overlook" the use of radial ply tires. I am now finishing a body-off restoration of a 1954 Buick Riviera 2dr. HT and have been made aware of the very strict guidelines for judging. I have an extra set of wheels, so will be installing a set of new B.F. Goodrich bias whitewalls for judging and keeping my set of radial ply whitewalls that were on the car at time of purchase for driving. In addition to the inconvenience, this adds a significant amount to the cost.

Hoping for some easing of the judging standards some day soon.

Fred