92 Riv problem again!

Guest exnitro

Guest exnitro

My 92 Riv Service Engine Soon light came on. Codes 22 and 43 show on the scanner. I figured it would be the O-2 sensor but no. Car has 145000 miles on it. Any ideas what would do this?:confused:

Thanks guys!!

Jim

Also, when driving with the cruise on, it kicks off when the light comes on. Can't set cruise till light goes off!!

Edited by exnitro
forgot something! (see edit history)

Guest exnitro

I had a shop look at it. He cleared the codes, the next day they were back. I've got to fix it before next Thurs cause I have a 200 mile drive to make. Sure don't want it quiting away from home.

Did you look up the codes? Computer will shut the cruise off for safty!

I show CODE 22 - Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) - Low Reading

Also CODE 43 - Electronic Spark Timing Circuit (EST)

Both would cause a sevice engine light would get it looked at before it fails

I doubt this has any bearing on your situation, but wanted to throw it out just in case. My '04 T-Bird would put itself in "cripple mode" ( something like that ) once in a while. Usually when accelerating hard. Sometime when taking off from a light rather easily. Wrench light would come on and the car would act like it's running on 2 cylinders.

It was out of warranty so I took it to a mechanic and one of the codes he got off of it was the TPS sensor was messed up. He also got some other conflicting codes that pointed elsewhere. In the end, after replacing some non-defective parts, the car was taken to Ford and they had to "reflash the computer" and it fixed whatever the problem was.

-BEPNewt

Guest exnitro

I got another TPS a short while ago from a friend. Gonna wait til morn to put it in and adjust it. It's too darn hot outside right now.:D

Guest exnitro

Well, I checked the voltage from the ECM and then the voltage on the TPS. Both are fine! I'm beginning to think maybe the ECM is just throwing false codes. Guess I'll keep driving it until something happens. :mad: