Seeking ex-Feingold Stutz Black Hawk

Guest jellisfeingold

Guest jellisfeingold

My recently deceased brother, Bob Feingold, late of Singapore, owned a 1927 Stutz Black Hawk Boattail Speedster (#1371). I am trying to document when he sold it, and to whom it was sold. Any help would be appreciated.

The Stutz Club has nothing more on this car than what's shown above. If anyone knows the current whereabouts of this car, please let me know!

Please contact me off-forum, if you wish.

Thanks.

John Feingold

Edited by jellisfeingold
updated info (see edit history)

He wrote something to me in a letter some years ago just after he sold it, but I cannot remember what he said. I have just about every slgnificant car-related letter I have ever received, but I could not claim they are systematically sorted and filed. I shall phone Ken Stuchberry in case he knows. He stayed with Ken and Fay when he was out here. You might well ask Stan Francis in Colorado; because Bob told me the replica body he built for it was one of several he built from pattern of the original one that was at Harrah's.

I believe there were others built by other people. We were in communication with John Jordan or similar name in Texas, who had one. This may have been the one owned by the friend of Bill Greer of the Stutz Club. Bill probably would be the best person to know change of owners.

Guest jellisfeingold

Thanks, Ivan. I spoke with Bill Greer yesterday. He recalls Bob, but he was unaware of the current whereabouts of his car. The last entry in the Stutz Club registry for my brother and Stutz #1371 was in 2002. I'll track down your suggested leads further. I also consulted with several auction houses through which Bob had previously sold cars to no avail.

The bizarre situation is that the Singapore Land Trasnport Authority records currently list Bob as the owner of the Stutz. In order to settle his estate, we need to prove that Bob did not own the Stutz at the time of his death, which occurred in May, 2011.

So, anyone knowing the current owner or having any knowledge of its sale or whereabouts would be of the utmost assistance.

Thanks, and best regards.

John Feingold

'59 Lancia Aurelia GT2500

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 270offy

A note of clarification on the number and distribution of Stan Francis boat tail bodies.

Researching the origins of my 28BB boat tail I recently spoke to Stan and he only built 2 boat tail bodies, did not finish the but sold them to Mark Clayton.

One sold into the Chicago area the other to Texas (my car), passed thru Newt Withers, David Crank, and Brian Hall.

I hope this helps.

PS; thanks Ivan, for the lead.

Guest jellisfeingold

The sought Stutz has been found, or at least somewhat traced to my satisfaction.

Turns out that my brother socked the Stutz away in a Singapore warehouse sometime in the late '90s. In about 2002 he sold it to his friend, Jim Proffit, who shipped it home to Long Beach, CA, where he sorted it out and drove it a bit. Not long afterwards, he sold it to a Dutch collector, who then purportedly sold it again.

Long story short: the car resides somewhere in Europe, and it's certifiably no longer an asset in my brother's estate, the determinatin of which was the main purpose of the search. I do have to admit, however, that I wish it had remained in the Singapore warehouse, in which case I'd now be shipping it back to the States with notions of scattering and terrifying New Yorkers.