Hello. I have a 1990 Buick Riviera with some dash problems.

Guest 1990milliganbuick

Guest 1990milliganbuick

First, my dash lights no longer dim, or even com one. The instrument cluster will come on but all of the backlighting for the HVAC, radio, and gearshift don't come on. The instrument panel will no longer dim with the dimmer switch under the headlight switch. I have been told by the dealer that this is a very expersve fix. What is wrong and how can I fix this?

Second, my instrument cluster will occasionally blank out or read "error." If I shut the car off and restart it displays okay, but this is happening more and more frequently. I understand that this is a problem with the internal electronics of the cluster itself. Does anyone know how to trepair it or if there issomewhere that can repair it?

Any chance that rebuilding the instrument cluster will get my dash lights working again?

Thanks.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

• 2 months later...

My 90 Riv does exactly the same. When I first start the cluster comes up 'OO ERROR' but if I leave the engine to warm up it jumps back into life?

I have just received a second hand cluster from a breaker @ $69 - just in case my original packs up altogether. But sometimes I think its just a dodgy connection?