The Birth of a Dream

Guest Rayne

Guest Rayne

This is the epic begining, the maiden voyage if you will, of "Baby". These photos were taken the day I picked her up. This is what she looked like under the hood. under.jpg

Don't gasp, the stock carburator, intake manifold, air cleaner, and hoses are in the trunk. Stock intake manifold had a terrible crack in it. My dwell meter still attatched in this photo, the points in the distributor looked like OEM, worn to a nub. Also, as you can see, someone has stripped out her A/C compressor. Heartbreaking, but I'm sure I can track down something.

As soon as I was away from the evil that consumed the scrap yard, I stopped to snap a few pics. When I say I stopped, I actualy mean stalled and pushed off the road.

rightrear.jpg

rightquarter.jpg

The owner of the yard told me the kid who had her was trying to turn her into a lowrider, but don't despair, the hubcaps are in the trunk too.

Finaly got her home, here she is sitting next to Bruce, my old van.

drivers.jpg

seat.jpg

She is actualy cleaner than she looks, rust is all surface, It looks like the lowrider kid sanded off her stock paint (whatever was left), and didn't ever get around to repainting. the body looked nice except for what you can see in the photos of her left side. Both bumpers are nice and straight, without cancer. All the glass is stock, with very little pitting and the VIN still visible in it. All the chrome pieces are here, and all the lenses are present with little "fogging" to speak of. The further I got into her, the more I found to be impressed with. Barring the way she was treated right before I rescued her, she's had a charmed life.

I've come a long way since these were taken, I'll try to get some more pics up soon.

Cool. I guess the sanding explains the rust colour on the horizontal surfaces. If you go down to metal, it won't take long before the moisture in the air starts to result in oxidation, and if it was out in rain or high humidity, you can almost watch it turn.

I'm looking forward to the additional photos.

Guest Rayne

Humidity will do it, I'm in Oklahoma. But I've got the surface rust sanded off and she's primered. But that's as far as I've gone, because the project is just begining. Long road ahead lol