No starter on '66 Toronado

Guest Twilight Fenrir

Guest Twilight Fenrir

Alright, I finally got my '66 Toronado all put back together, and ready to roll. I hop in the cab to start the car so I can check the timing, turn the key, and all I hear is a "Twanggg" from under the dash.

First thing I do is check fuses... no starter fuse, and no fuses blown.

Threw the battery on the charger and it is fully charged.

Checked the main power line going to the starter, and got full voltage.

Don't have an assistant, so I pulled the starter and brought it into o'Reily's for testing, it works flawlessly.

Pulled the plug off the ignition switch, and started cross-wiring things... I get the click of the solenoid when I connect the red to pink. And the twang under the dash for the accessories when I connect it to the brown. And nothing when I connect it to the purple.

I had the dash out, which included lowering the steering column, but not removing it. I'm certain I re-hooked everything back up... All the bells and whistles and lights work.

The only thing I'm kinda questioning is the shifter. I didn't get to drive the car before I took it appart, so I'm not sure if this is normal, but it can be shifted without pulling the shifter towards you except when going to "L" Which requires a significant pull towards me. Throwing it into neutral, I can push and roll the car about. So it seems to be more or less correct. There's also one detent between Park and Reverse...

I took a look at the linkage, and it appears to be in order... At least it looks like it does in the service manual. I can shift it by grabbing the linkage and pulling on it, in one direction only. I'm wondering if something isn't off on the transmission, which is tripping the neutral safety switch (Assuming these cars had such a device)

Any idea what I should do? I'm fresh out of things to check short of chasing the wire... but, that would be a massive PITA. And almost certainly unnecessary.

Guest Twilight Fenrir

Okay, found the neutral safety switch, it's right on the steering column. I ran a jumper cable across the wires, and the engine cranks! :D

So I'm definitely on the right track. I just gotta figure out, if my switch is bad, or if there's something wrong with my shifter/linkage...

Guest Twilight Fenrir

Got it fixed :D Just loosened the nuts on the switch and barely nudged it and it starts right up. Must have bumped it when I lowered the steering column and knocked it out of alignment.