New possible Buick owner-NEED HELP!

Guest oldfordz

Guest oldfordz

I am headed in the morning to look at a 1951 two door Buick and know nothing about them other than I love their looks! It says Delux on the rear decklid and has the straight 8 in it. I have the vin and no idea if decoding it tells anything, I just have no idea what to offer...Any help would be great guys!! Thanks in advance.

That would be a Special Deluxe with a 263 cid straight 8. The straight 8 is a smooth motor. The 2 door sedan is model 48D, was originally $2127, shipping weight of 3615 lbs, and 54,311 were produced. The 2 door hardtop is model 45R, cost $2225, 3645 lbs, 16,491 built.

It most likely will have the Dynaflow automatic transmission although a manual is possible.

The Special Deluxe got a one piece windshield (Special had 2 piece), and had more plush upholstery.

Good luck. They are neat cars.

Guest oldfordz

It has a manual trans and one piece windshield. The car isnt rusty, but needs total resto. All there and worn driver seat. Any idea of value to one needing restored? It isnt rusted thru anywhere, just getting surface rust. Thanks!

From the August 2010 Old Cars Report Price Guide:

Special Deluxe 2 door sedan:

#5 - 2400

#4 - 4000

#3 - 9000

Special Deluxe 2 door hardtop:

#5 - 3250

#4 - 5400

#3 - 12150

A car needing total restoration would be in the #4 range if it is functional, but is more like a #5 considered restorable if it is essentially complete, but not entirely functional.

Of course, the above is from a guide, which contains guidelines, rather than hard and fast values. You could also check Collector Car Prices, Muscle Car Prices at Collector Car Market Review and 1951 Buick Prices, Values & Specs - NADAguides, which is more geared toward providing prices for running driveable cars.

Good luck.