Hey Jim......

Guest Julian

Guest Julian

Jim, the 352 runs pretty good AND the transmission shifts just fine..:)....it moves well under its own power.. no idea why they parked it in 93. But it is burning oil probably from #4 cyl since it is the lowest in compression...What all will I need to put that engine and transmisison in the 59?.. Will the steering column fit AND will the power-steering swap out as well ??... any help is appreciated...

Guest Jim_Edwards
Jim, the 352 runs pretty good AND the transmission shifts just fine..:)....it moves well under its own power.. no idea why they parked it in 93. But it is burning oil probably from #4 cyl since it is the lowest in compression...What all will I need to put that engine and transmisison in the 59?.. Will the steering column fit AND will the power-steering swap out as well ??... any help is appreciated...

There should be no issue with the engine. There may be issues with the transmission and the drive shaft, as well as the power steering. The transmission will likely fit, but the problem is the drive shaft as neither drive shaft may work when placed in the '59 with the '63 transmission.

I'm not sure what in exactly what year Ford went from a "power piston" from of power steering to the type used for many years from the mid '60s up. It might just be easier to find a power piston set up for the '59 instead of even considering anything from the '63, unless the '63 has a power piston setup. I don't think using a power piston setup will even require a steering column or box change, but I'll have to check.

Jim

Guest Julian

Thanks Jim.. btw.. will the steering column from the 63 fit the 59 since it has the correct gear selector on it??.(or just change the gear selecor insert)I was pleasantely surprised when I pulled it down in reverse and it went right in without hesitation. THe same for drive. NO BRAKES THOUGH. I was on a farm and so I run it through a field so had plenty of stopping distance :)

Edited by Julian (see edit history)

Guest Jim_Edwards
Thanks Jim.. btw.. will the steering column from the 63 fit the 59 since it has the correct gear selector on it??.(or just change the gear selecor insert)I was pleasantely surprised when I pulled it down in reverse and it went right in without hesitation. THe same for drive. NO BRAKES THOUGH. I was on a farm and so I run it through a field so had plenty of stopping distance :)

Exactly which transmissions do the respective cars have in them now? Tag numbers from the cases would be helpful in determining exactly what kind of linkage trouble one may get into with the tranny swap. Which also brings up potential significant linkage issues with the foot feed as I think more about the swap in general. Keep in mind there were significant chassis changes between the two model years in question.

Messing with the idea of a steering column and potentially a steering gear box change may be getting into more issues than I personally would ever want to get into. Factually, I wouldn't even want to think about all the potential misalignment and mounting issues having to do with such a swap. It goes without saying a lot of measurements need to be taken from both cars before proceeding. Particularly with respect to the distance between the firewall and steering box. I have no idea if the transmission selector insert at the dash/steering wheel will fit that many model years apart.

Combined engine/transmission swaps from one year of vehicle to another can be treacherous territory, steering column swaps are even potentially more treacherous.

Did you forget about the parking brake when dashing around the field? I once had to basically walk a Caddy with no functioning brakes out of a confined area using the parking brake. Took about an hour to get it out of a very tight spot all of which was exacerbated by the fact I had to feed fuel to it from a jug under the hood thanks to a bad hose connection between the filler neck and gas tank; and not helping was both of its carburetors were leaking gas all over the place as were coolant lines. Ended up having to rebuild one of the carbs just to get the sucker off my trailer. Was pleasantly surprised to discover the brake problem was air in the master cylinder and once bled off the brakes worked perfectly. Assorted cooling system leaks not so easy!

Jim

Edited by Jim_Edwards (see edit history)