early 40's dodge pickups

Guest tonkaman

Guest tonkaman

ok guys im new to the fourm but not to the world of these trucks. i am lookig at buing these two trucks this summer after i graduate. i belive the yellow one is a 1/2 ton but im not sure on the other one, it looks to be a 1 or 3/4 ton not sure tho. the vin tag says its GVW is 6000lbs. if you guys could tell me everything you can about the to of them just from the pics i have that would be awesome. the headlights on the black one are different from any i have ever seen on a dodge truck from this era whats up with these? i know that niether truck has the correct engine in it as i have ran both serial numbers and both are from cars, not trucks. the black one has the radiator spaced back towards the cab with wood spacers and a homemade fan shroud.

My Dodges pictures by tonkadude - Photobucket

Guest tonkaman
looks like you have a '39 [1 year grille ] and what looks like a '40 [1 yr grille ]

which is which? the yellow one is the 40 correct?

Guest Richie09

Hi, here are some of the records I have on the '39 and '40:

1939 TC 1/2 ton 116" wheel base

TD15 3/4 ton 120"

TD20 1 ton 120"

TD21 1 ton 133"

1940 VC 1/2 ton 116" wheel base

VD 15 3/4 ton 120"

VD20 1 ton 120"

VD21 1 ton 133"

The only question I have in my mind is about the yellow ones remaining headlamp: I thought they went to sealed beam but that looks like it may be a bulb in reflector, can't really see that well but the little lamp that would be on top of the headlight is not there. Must be a '40 with that grille and the headlamp not on the crown of the fender though. Try wiping the passenger side door jamb tags with oil so you can make out the model number, those tags are painted and stamped so don't rub too hard. Richie

P.S. I do have the serial number sequences for Detroit and L.A. if you can read them off those tags.

Guest tonkaman

the yellow one has the sealed beam lights, the little marker light thing on top has just been removed you can see where it was if you look at the top of the light bucket. as for the ID tags this is what i have for the black one, 8092575 TD21 and the yellow one, 81150830 WC

Guest Richie09

The black one falls in Detroit sequence for '39 8087901 thru 8093438 manufacture

The yellow is not clear at all, a WC was a '41, '42, '45 black-out, '46 or '47, would have headlights on top of crown and would have cowl lights...also the 81150830 does not fall in any sequence '39-'47, is there a body symbol? four digits like 4012 (1940) or 4112 (WC 1941 thru 1947) the most comprehensive records I have come from the Yahoo auto group for '39-'47 Dodge trucks..you may find someone there that could clear this up or possibly the library on this forum. Keep in touch, Richie

Guest tonkaman

hmm the yello wone has me a little cornfused as well, it does look like someone has done a small restore on it maybe in like the 70s or the 80s so maybe they put a different cab or nose on it. it did have cowl lights, i took them off already and have them inside so they wont get any rustier. now im fairly sure it was a wc but i could have been mistaken the day i took the pics and stuff. i hope to go look at them again this weekend so ill double check and get a few better pics.

thank you for all the info you have been a great help.

maybe they couldnt get a title for the yellow one back when it was first freshened up so they took the tag from another and stuck it on there.

what do you mean by a body symbol? where would i find this?

Guest tonkaman

i also have an engine with a spitfire head on it. it is the 25 in long block and was removed from a 1 1/2 ton dodge truck. i cant seem to find the ID numbers on the block, the pad on the upper drivers side of the block is blank, it doesnt seem to be ground off its just like there was never anything there. the only thing that is on that pad is a small drive nail where a little square aluminum tag was nailed. the tag was completely blank. is there any way to ID this engine other than those numbers? what is the history on these spitfire engines?

Guest tonkaman

ok here is all the info from the ID tag on the yellow truck.

serial number 81150830

style WC

GVRW 4600lbs

80hp at 3400rpm

body tag : 4112-193738