1991 Firebird tail gate electric lock

CrestaMan

Hi everyone,

Friend of mine's Firebird tailgate lock has decided to play up. It stopped pulling down the tail gate tight allowing it to rattle and let the wind and rain in. Whilst trying to fix it it went up a down a couple of times but then went all the way down so we can't even just get the tailgate into the lock which will fail the MOT. I would like to try connecting the various wires to the battery to get it to come back up a bit but I don't know which wires are which and the workshop manual is no help.

Can any body help??

Regards

CrestaMan

From my memory there are two switches. One for when the latch part of the deck lid comes in contact to the pull down. That then energizes the motor to start the sequence to pull down the deck lid. Then there is a second one that senses when the deck lid is down and turns off the pull down.

The good thing about that device is that GM used it on everything that had a pull down on the deck lid and I have been told that other manufacturers used it also including Ford. If you need a wiring diagram, I might be able to find a basic/generic one from another car that might help you.